Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default I delivered my child myself. Not on purpose.

Yes I did.
    Lilah Jane was born at 9:10 am on 10/25 - which is also big sisters birthday! My contractions were still 6 minutes apart, so I told DH to take DD1to daycare. I figured I’d get dressed and we’d head for the hospital when he got back. As soon as the van door closed I knew I’d made a bad call. I figured the best thing to do was get up, get dressed, and go sit with my next-door-neighbor until DH got back.
    I went and sat on the potty, and my water broke. I yelled out the window for my neighbor, but she had gone into her basement to work out. I told myself not to push, but my body wasn’t listening to me. At that point I realized the baby was ready to come out. I gave one good push, and most of her was out. One more good push and there she was. No I did not drop her in the toilet (but I think her feet got wet). So now I’m stuck on the in the bathroom with no help and a waxy, blue baby. Fortunately I had read just the night before what to do if you accidentally gave birth at home. I did what I could to clear her airway, wrapped her in a towel draped her cord over my arm since the placenta hadn’t been delivered yet, and walked over to my bed.
    After calling 911 I ran over to the window and yelled for my neighbor again, which still did me no good. I couldn’t call anyone else because 911 wouldn’t let me off the phone. The EMT’s were there pretty fast, but DH had locked the door (ever safety conscious). Poor Neighbor - just about to get in the shower and wrapped in a towel -was running around her house looking for my house key. They didn’t break down the door because they knew I was ok, so they found an open kitchen window and climbed through. They grabbed the baby, cut the cord and sent her on her way to the hospital. Right about this time DH turned down our street and had a mini cardiac episode when he saw all the emergency vehicles at our house. He came up to see his blood covered wife starting to kind of pass out on the bed, with 6 EMT guys standing around. One of them offered me a sheet to cover myself with. I looked around and asked if anyone really thought my modesty was an issue at that point.
    I had a partial placental abruption, so my upstairs looked like a crime scene (which my poor mom cleaned up) – which got even grosser when my placenta delivered. Then they packed me up (tromping around in the blood all the while) and sent me off in my own ambulance. DD2 spent the night in the NICU. She was and is just fine.
    Also I've gotta say you mamas who have the natural home or birth center delivery have the right idea! I felt so proud of myself and it means so much to me that I did it myself (though I wish DH had been there). Plus all I had was a first degree tear, and I bounced back sooooo much quicker than with my first birth (which was also natural, but being the first, way more damaging and painfull). If I ever have another child, I'm totally skiping the hospital!
    Nancy
    DD Cara Flynn 10-25-05
    DD Lilah Jane 10-25-10 (How about that?)

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OMG!!!!!!!!
    Wow! What a story! So glad you are all ok. You go girl.
    DD
    DS

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on your new baby and all I can say is WOW about that story! You are amazing!

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

What a birth story! Congratulations!
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Chills!!! What an awesome event!
    Welcome to the world baby Lilah Jane (your mama rocks )

WOW! I dont even know what to say, thats amazing! You go mama! Congratulations!
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Amazing!! Congrats!!!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    OMG!!!!!!!!
    Wow! What a story! So glad you are all ok. You go girl.
    Holy smokes! That is quite a story! Congratulations! You are on tough cookie.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Wow, what an amazing birth story! So glad it all turned out well- I don't know that I would have handled it as well as you did Congrats on your little girl- love the name you chose for her!

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What an amazing story! Congratulations!
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast