Default WHY can't DS soothe himself to sleep suddenly?

Backstory: I nursed DS to sleep for naps and bedtime until around 11 months. He then decided he would fully eat, de-latch, scream and twist in my arms. I had no choice but to put him down awake because he resisted nursing to sleep. He struggled to soothe himself to sleep, fussing (not crying) but in his sleeping position. After about a week max, he was putting himself down for both naps and bedtime. Imagine my delight! I didn't have to wean or sleep train!!

But payback is a b!#ch. Right around the same time, DS got sick, so was up 2-3 times at night with coughing/congestion. I nursed him in our bed, just so I could push the fluids. He's been getting up 2-3 times at night ever since, and has been cosleeping as a result. But he was still being put down awake and falling asleep in his crib alone. UNTIL LAST WEEK (he's now 14 months). Now when I put him down in the crib for naps and bedtime he freaks out. So I cuddle with him until he's in a deep sleep because if he's even a teeny bit awake he'll start screaming when I try to put him down. Why the sudden regression? Is the overnight starting to spill into the daytime. FWIW, I also think he's trying to drop his AM nap now too.

TIA. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. It's worse now than it was when he was a newborn. We've already tried getting DH involved, but DS won't have any part of that. I'm exhausted, nursing DS, and DH's ego.
    DS 9/09 (our little miracle)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Teething? Ear pain that is worst when he's lying flat? Or tummy pain, same deal?

I think sleep issues are pretty common at this age. I would try to eliminate any physical cause to make sure he's not uncomfortable.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Yes, definitely teething. One is cutting right now. But we give Tylenol or Motrin. The second I go to put him in his crib, standing, he freaks. I used to put him in, give kisses, say night-night and leave. He would walk around, play with his rainforest soother, talk to his lovie, then lay down, roll around then sleep. Now I can't even let go of him, let alone lay him down. Tonight he started pointing to the door. I think he's looking to co-sleep from the start now.
    DS 9/09 (our little miracle)