lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Going to LA - any suggestions???

Dh and I are taking a short trip to LA this weekend, and I've had zero time to plan anything. I think the weather is supposed to be rainy and bit on the chilly side, so we might be limited on the outdoor activities. Any suggestions on must do activities, or places to eat?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well LA is huge so what part of the city and or county are you going to be in?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

We're staying at a hotel in Beverly Hills.

It's gonna rain?

Do you want to do touristy things? What are your interests? Sightseeing, food, shopping, museums, beach??
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Yeah, the rain forecast is really throwing me, because I was thinking of activities outdoors like beach, hiking, etc. We're not generally into the very touristy things, but neither of us have done any sight seeing there before, so we'd consider it. We'll probably spend some time at the spa because relaxation is extremely high on the priority list. And plan to have a lot of nice grown up meals together!

My DH is kind of grumpy about this trip because he really wanted to go to Scotsdale, AZ instead, but I convinced him to try something new. I have to go to LA for work, so he wanted us to do Scotsdale and then for me to go on to LA. But, we've booked the tickets and well we're going. I keep telling him that there are worse things in life to deal with, jeez!

ETA: I'll probably put shopping our list since it's indoors, but isn't likely to get DH too excited. Can't imagine that a museum would get him very fired up either. I think we are usually "beachy" people, so that's what we usually do on vacation!

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We went with DS when he was 16 months old, but had great weather. We spent a day at Griffith park (zoo, pony rides, carousel, light hiking, playground). We spent a day biking (with DS in a trailer) at the Santa Monica pier. We also spent a good portion of a day at the Grove (this was actually DS's favorite part). And then we just took it easy the rest of the time walking around different places.

ETA: keep in mind, a lot of the shopping malls are actually outdoor malls.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you do Grauman's, do not engage the street impersonators. They will do everything they can to insidiously get your attention, offer to take your picture, step into your pictures, etc., and then have the audacity to ask for money for the pleasure. Just stick to yourselves, hand your camera to no one in a getup of any kind, and get the hell out of Dodge.

Venice Beach was a letdown for me. The vendors are mostly not great. But every 20 booths or so you find a real gem.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If the weather isn't too bad either the Grove or Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica are both nice. You could check out the Observatory at Griffith Park, I think that is mostly indoors.

As far as dinner goes, DH and I just had an amazing dinner at Osteria Mozza. It's wonderful, but it's on the pricey side.

Have fun!
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The Los Angeles Auto Show is taking place at the convention center this weekend. I actually enjoy going (we are going next week). I don't know the Beverly Hills area enough to tell you what's close to what. Rodeo Drive is okay, but in reality if you aren't going to buy anything it's not that much fun. Beverly Center is a bit more back to reality for most people. If you like music look for shows at the Wiltern, Whiskey, and other West Hollywood, Hollywood area clubs. You'll most likely need to bring lots of cash because you'll have to repark your car or take a cab.

The Grove at 3rd & Fairfax is fun too, and if you park in the small 2 hr. lot for the Farmers' Market the parking is free. If you park at the Grove parking garage you have to pay.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)