Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default For fun...what's your favorite Thanksgiving dish? (recipes welcome!)

It may not be interesting, but I'm a big fan of turkey (breast) and gravy. Mmm. People who say turkey is dry haven't had it done right. I also love sweet potato pie.

Anyone else? Share your secret love of green bean casserole here, no judgment.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Pumpkin pie, which I won't eat this year because Ha gets painful gas if I eat anything made with dairy. I haven't seen a way to replace evaporated milk with almond milk!

Runner up is stuffing. . . bread, eggs, onion, celery, chicken broth, and spices all baked together. Nothing special, except that we only eat it on Thanksgiving and I like it.

DH's fave is sweet potato casserole. I'm making that for his potluck at work next week.

My mom will only eat turkey if it's dry. So I'm glad I'm not having my Thanksgiving meal at her house!
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is our hands down winner with our family:

Cranberry Apple Casserole

3 cups peeled, chopped apples
    2 cups cranberries (1 bag Ocean Spray)
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    3 (1 5/8 ounce) packages instant oatmeal with cinnamon and spice
    3/4 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
    Pecan halves
    Additional fresh cranberries

Combine apples, 2 cups cranberries, and 2 tablespoons flour, tossing to coat; add 1 cup sugar, mixing well. Place in a 2 quart casserole.

Combine oatmeal, copped pecans, 1/2 cup flour, and brown sugar; add butter, and stir well. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Garnish with pecan halves and cranberries. Yield 6 to 8 servings.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Mashed potatoes with gravy. To get them extra yummy they must be Yukon Golds and you have to use cream and butter. I go through a lot of cream and butter on Thanksgiving as they are essential to many of my dishes!! I make mashed potatoes year round but the gravy makes them so wonderful!
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Mashed potatoes with gravy. To get them extra yummy they must be Yukon Golds and you have to use cream and butter. I go through a lot of cream and butter on Thanksgiving as they are essential to many of my dishes!! I make mashed potatoes year round but the gravy makes them so wonderful!
    Beth
    DH's fave is definitely mashed potatoes. He makes them, and they are super yummy! It's the one thing he can cook that is tasty, rather than just edible.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    Pumpkin pie, which I won't eat this year because Ha gets painful gas if I eat anything made with dairy. I haven't seen a way to replace evaporated milk with almond milk!

Could you try coconut milk & adjust your sugar content?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Stuffing. As long as the cook hasn't added the giblets back to it. (My dad's family does, so there are pieces of chopped turkey liver & heart running all through it. Organ meats have never been my cup of tea.)

Cranberry-orange relish. (Usually store-bought, from either TJ's or WF.)

Sweet potato casserole. Not the runny, "yams" in a can crap with marshmallow topping, but actual sweet potato casserole, with a praline pecan topping.

Pecan pie. Any pecan pie. But especially the one my uncle John makes.

And I am not the biggest fan of poultry in general, so turkey is typically waaaay down on my list.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

On my side of the family, scalloped corn (?) is the all-round family favorite. It is an embarrassing casserole-type dish but we all eat tons of it every Thanksgiving.

Several sleeves of Saltines are ground up in the food processor, mixed together with several cans of creamed corn and a little red pepper, and baked in the oven. I can't say why it's so good, but it definitely is!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

gobadgers, is the recipe that simple? I have to take a few dishes to a big thanksgiving thing, I'm a vegetarian, DH doesn't like sweet stuff and I'm not Martha Stewart, so this sounds very interesting (read simple!) to me. By several, how many sleeves of saltines and how many cans of corn, do you just mix the whole can into the ground saltines? Add cheese or anything and how much red pepper?
    Thanks for a bit more info, I'd like to try and make it

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendmatt View Post
    gobadgers, is the recipe that simple? I have to take a few dishes to a big thanksgiving thing, I'm a vegetarian, DH doesn't like sweet stuff and I'm not Martha Stewart, so this sounds very interesting (read simple!) to me. By several, how many sleeves of saltines and how many cans of corn, do you just mix the whole can into the ground saltines? Add cheese or anything and how much red pepper?
    Thanks for a bit more info, I'd like to try and make it
    Wendmatt - I'll talk to my brother, the expert, and post back later for specific quantities. He'll be honored if you make it!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast