Default really, really heavy period TMI!

I am experiencing an unusually heavy period right now...like, soaking through a pad ever 1-2 hours, clots, etc. It has never been this heavy before.
    Do I call the dr now? Do I wait until the next cycle and see what that's like? I usually have one heavy day (and today would be the heavy day) and then it lightens up, but it has just never been this heavy before. Is it common to sometimes have an unusually heavy period?
    I'm 36, btw, and it is absolutely impossible that it could be a miscarriage.

Anyways, anyone ever experince this before?

And how come I can't make up my mind without asking for advice from strangers?!

This has happened to me before and I'm around your age too. I called my OB/GYN who told me to call back if it happens during another cycle. It did so I went in to see the doc. They did an ultrasound and it showed some polyps along the lining of my uterus, so then they did an endometrial (sp?) biopsy to rule out the possibility of cervical cancer.(very low chances) All results were normal but I do need to monitor my cycles and call them if it happens again.

So yeah, I would give your doc a call just to see what they want you to do, if anything.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. There is some info here that might be helpful:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/menstruation.htm

How many months postpartum are you? Thyroid problems commonly develop postpartum.

I see two other red flags in your post that made me think of the thyroid. If it cannot be a miscarriage that means you cannot be pregnant. Are you suffering from low or no libido?
    And believe it or not, not being able to make up your mind could be a symptom, too.

As long as you don't feel unwell, I would wait and see what tomorrow holds. And then pay attention to your next period. For more info on the thyroid:

http://thyroid.about.com/

This is a good place to start. There are symptom checklists. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be well informed about this area of health. Most doctors are poorly trained in this area and there are millions of undiagnosed people. Even if your test results are normal (and you should have more than just a TSH test - see the about.com site for more info on that) you can still be suffering from symptoms and benefit from treatment. Ask for your actual test results and research them yourself.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That SUCKS.

Definitely call. Don't panic, but do call.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that they did some bloodwork to check my thyroids.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Is it the first period you have gotten post-partum? Because it is very common for the first one to be pretty terrible.

After checking with your doctor to see if you are okay, you can take:
    Homeopathic Sabina
    Evening Primrose Oil capsules

Both should help, as will resting. The more you work and move around, the worse it will be.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12