zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default transitioning to big girl bed

I am looking at moving DD to her big girl bed over the winter break. What have you typically done with beds- twin, daybed, or ??

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

How old is your DD?

Both kids moved from cosleeping to a big kid bed around age 3.

DS1 went right to our old queen bed, no bedrail. I think he fell out 1-2x but never hurt himself.

DD went right to a twin, no bedrail. Fell out once and didn't hurt herself. I don't think she even woke up all of the way
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

We moved DD1 to a full sized sleigh bed, but kept the boxspring off for 6+ months until she got accustomed to the height. We had a full size bed set from pre-marriage days so we just got a bedframe to fit that.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD first had her crib converted to a toddler bed at age 2. At 3 she got a twin bed.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm interested to hear the responses. We plan on transitioning DS (almost 3) this weekend from his crib with crib tent to a full size bed in his room. I'm worried about the up and down and that he won't nap anymore.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Santa is bringing DD a "BIG BED" (she always yells with excitement when she says it LOL) for Xmas. It will be a twin and we plan on leaving the box spring and the mattress on the floor for a while until she gets used to it. We are expecting lots of getting up....
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    How old is your DD?

Both kids moved from cosleeping to a big kid bed around age 3.

DS1 went right to our old queen bed, no bedrail. I think he fell out 1-2x but never hurt himself.

DD went right to a twin, no bedrail. Fell out once and didn't hurt herself. I don't think she even woke up all of the way
    how did you make this change after 3 yrs. of co-sleeping? we really would like to start but i have know idea what to do first.

Quote Originally Posted by chozen View Post
    how did you make this change after 3 yrs. of co-sleeping? we really would like to start but i have know idea what to do first.
    With DS1, I was at the end of my pregnancy with DD. I didn't want him to feel displaced by the new baby, so we upgraded to a king. In the meantime we started talking about his big boy room, etc. and decorating it. DH and I decided we'd do his room, but be prepared for him to not be ready to sleep in it in on his own.

We all coslept for 2-3 months after DD was born. We then started gradually transitioning DS1 to his room. We'd lay with him, and if he woke in the middle of the night DH would go in (this is where it was nice he was in a queen sized bed...) and stay with him for a bit. It took maybe a week or two but after that it got increasingly easy. It was a gentle transition.

We applied pretty much the same approach with DD. I think it was a bit easier with her. She was roughly the same age.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

she does take naps in her room and i think i am finally ready to work on night time. i thought about bringing her toddler bed up from the basement and putting it next to our bed but then again i really dont think she will sleep in it. she still takes naps in her room in her crib so for now i dont want to put a regular bed in her room because i think maybe the naps will stop and she really needs them. what do you think about this plan with the toddler bed next to ours, or should i just wait until shes ready for a reg. bed in her room?

Quote Originally Posted by chozen View Post
    she does take naps in her room and i think i am finally ready to work on night time. i thought about bringing her toddler bed up from the basement and putting it next to our bed but then again i really dont think she will sleep in it. she still takes naps in her room in her crib so for now i dont want to put a regular bed in her room because i think maybe the naps will stop and she really needs them. what do you think about this plan with the toddler bed next to ours, or should i just wait until shes ready for a reg. bed in her room?
    There are lots of people that have success transitioning their DC to a small bed in their room first...a mattress or small bed next to mom and dad's bed. I considered that but my instinct was that my kids were ready with just some gentle encouragement, so we went right for their own bed. But if you already have a toddler bed I think it is worth a try.

I'm not a big punishment/reward person but I think doing a sticker reward system can work for some kids, depending on age/temperament. If they spend one night in the bed maybe they get a small reward and if they can get 7 nights or whatever then maybe a bigger reward. I think this works best for a child who is really ready and just needs a gentle nudge. If they aren't really ready, I think the reward thing won't work (and some kids just aren't motivated all that much by reward systems).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006