Default Mirena - need insights?

Hello. I decided a while ago to get Mirena, baby is 19 months old and after being through a lot with her, I'm we're!) not ready for another one. In the past, I tried pills but had terrible side effects (extreme moodiness, to the point of depression), and Nuvaring recently, but wanted something more care-free. Well, insurance covered Mirena and I went in today to have it put in. Well, it didn't happen, took three tries but my cervix wasn't dilated enough (I'll spare the details LOL, wasn't the funnest visit), and they have to reorder it and I need to come back in a month. Anyone experience it too? I had the c-section and my cervix obviously isn't the easiest to 'work with'.
    My miracle girl 04.09.2009

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Mine was extremely difficult to insert, as well. They were able to do it, but it took a long time (I think I was there about 1.5 hours) and was very painful. I almost fainted and they had to give m some juice and a snack to get rid of the dizziness. They did tell me that if they couldn't get it in, I'd have to reschedule to try again. I also had a c-section but I think Boo was about 3-4 months old when I had it inserted.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Ouch, not a good experience. I also don't have menstrual cramps since the pregnancy (used to have terrible cramps, headaches, throwing up etc) and insertion felt like them, ugh. How has it been afterwards? I'm now reading the posts on medications.com and am rethinking the whole thing
    My miracle girl 04.09.2009

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Once it was in, I rested there for about 30 minutes to make sure I was past the fainting spell and could handle the cramping. I took a motrin (regular OTC ones, not the potent ones) and was fine. I have had NO regrets. The cramping was only bad that first day and nonexistent after that. I LOVE the convenience of it and since insurance covered it (I just paid my office copay) it was FAR cheaper than BCPs. My periods have been a lot lighter and farther apart (I used to have 21-25 day cycles, which sucked!!)

One of my good friends has one and they "lost" the string, so they had to give her an ultrasond to confirm that it is still in the right place, but even with all that, she loves having mirena and has no regrets.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Did you try during your period? That;s when you are naturally dilated some so it helps. I'm guessing you did that though since they said to come back next month. Insertion was unpleasant with both of my Paragards (I'm leery of Mirena's hormones) and I got that whole dizziness thing. But, once it was done it was done and all good. I also took 800mg of Ibuprofen before insertion, per my midwife's recommendation.

Beth