Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    Not scriptkitten, but to answer your question, BF hormones can cause vaginal dryness, and that makes it very uncomfortable. Might be a good idea to get some lubricant just in case
    Hands down the best lubricant for vaginal dryness is Coconut oil - comparing it to something like Astroglide or Ky, there is just no comparison. CO is awesome and I know a lot of nursing mama friends who swear by it for their own comfort .
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I thought it had something to do with making sure you were no longer dialated due to risk of embolism and the '6 week' rule was just b/c that's when most people have their first internal exam.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had my first post partum visit at 3 weeks and got the ok then.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    Not scriptkitten, but to answer your question, BF hormones can cause vaginal dryness, and that makes it very uncomfortable. Might be a good idea to get some lubricant just in case
    Will definitely do that. I had read that BFing could cause dryness, but since scriptkitten said sex was a "disaster" and lubricant is a really easy fix, I wondered if there was another problem caused by BFing?
    Beaming mom to DS born 10/20/2010.
    The Force is strong with this one.

I am having a similar issue as scriptkitten. In addition to dryness there is definitely a lack of desire that I am experiencing that I attribute to BF. I will say though that i just got my first period post-partum a couple of weeks ago and things are seeming much better. Even though I am still BF I don't have the extreme dryness, my libido is getting better and it is finally starting to feel good to have sex. Even with extra lubricant, I will honestly say that there wasn't any pain, but there wasn't any pleasure either with sex. Thankfully it is getting better, but DD is 8 months old already so it has taken time.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyPeter View Post
    Will definitely do that. I had read that BFing could cause dryness, but since scriptkitten said sex was a "disaster" and lubricant is a really easy fix, I wondered if there was another problem caused by BFing?
    For some women it is not just dryness - it is that the vaginal tissues lose their elasticity due to the bf'ing hormones. This means sex is painful since your body isn't stretching/adjusting during sex like normal (compare how it feels to pull on regular skin vs. skin that has a scab on it - one stretches with elasticity and no pain and the other pulls/tugs/hurts). There are hormonal creams you can use and ways to do sex that make it less painful - but it's more drawn out process. Usually once your cycles resume and/or breastfeeding stops things go back to normal. Not all women experience this but it is more than a matter of just 'dryness'.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It was very painful for me for months, after a c-section with barely any dilating, and a VBAC. FWIW, I was always ready mentally and libido-wise as soon as the bleeding stopped.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

get some lube!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

amm40 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    For some women it is not just dryness - it is that the vaginal tissues lose their elasticity due to the bf'ing hormones. This means sex is painful since your body isn't stretching/adjusting during sex like normal (compare how it feels to pull on regular skin vs. skin that has a scab on it - one stretches with elasticity and no pain and the other pulls/tugs/hurts). There are hormonal creams you can use and ways to do sex that make it less painful - but it's more drawn out process. Usually once your cycles resume and/or breastfeeding stops things go back to normal. Not all women experience this but it is more than a matter of just 'dryness'.
    Oh, thanks! I've been close to tears several times due to the painful burning stretching feeling that made no sense given my c-section, and lube only made things messier. 6 months past weaning, its finally bearable. Your explanation hits it right on the head. Why didn't my GYN know about this elasticity theory?

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

op, if you can insert a finger or two (in the shower, perhaps) without pain & your bleeding has stopped or slowed way down, sex should be fine. remember, though, to use some method of birth control.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast