Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What to bring (9mo)

We're going to Saint John in two weeks with our 9-month old DS! I'm so nervous about the whole traveling situation (there are no airports in St. John, so we have to take a boat from another island). So, questions for all you mamas:

-We were going to bring our stroller and even purchased a travel bag for it, but now we're having second thoughts. Is it worth it, or will we be okay with just our Ergo?
    -If we do bring our stroller, should we gate check or check it in with our luggage?
    -DS prefers ready-to-feed formula (less spit-up), but is it going to be a hassle with security? I keep reading that I should just bring the powder and buy the water at the gate.
    -What did you do about your LO's naps? Were you a bit more relaxed about DC's naps or did you plan around them?
    -For those of you who have been to St. John, is there a grocery store with baby formula and food? Or should I just bring everything?

Thanks!! Please, please, please feel free to leave any other suggestions. I'm terrified!!
    Mommy to DS 2/10 and furbaby 7/08.

I can't really speak to the St. John's specifics, but can tell you what we've done with the rest of your questions.

Stroller: For me, taking the stroller has been about the destination rather than the airport. It's just one more thing to wrangle unless I know I'll want it at the other end for walks/etc. When we did bring it, I did gate check it. Our guy is happy in a baby carrier, so I've done most trips with just the Ergo. Depending on your airport, you may need to take it off and carry your LO through the metal detector.

Formula: I've gone through with factory-sealed ready-to-feed (2 oz bottles) before, I put them in a ziploc and made sure it was in the bin next to the diaper bag for screening, and didn't need to open the containers for any sort of testing. I did bring powder as a back-up just in case.

Naps: A little of both? I've tried to schedule flights during typical nap times in the past, but that's not always possible. At our destination, if there wasn't a way to schedule activities around nap times (which may shift anyway if there's a time change for you), we'd just make sure we had an escape plan in case of a meltdown.

Have fun on your trip! You'll be fine!

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't been to St john in a while, but I remember food being really expensive. I would pack as much as possible...especially things that might be super expensive, like formula.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I have never been to St John so can't speak to those specifics, but...
    You're pregnant. DEFINITELY bring the stroller. Even if you weren't, I'm a big fan of having a stroller in the airport. Not to mention it will be helpful at your destination. I'd gate check it. If you have a super nice stroller, consider buying a decent umbrella-type (like one of those cute Cybex ones on Overstock? a Mac Volo?) so the world wouldn't end if you lose it.
    I would not try a new formula on a trip--if it doesn't go well, you'll be miserable! I don't know how much of a trial you've done with the powder formula recently--if you haven't tried it in a few months your DS may do better with it--he is older now and his reflux should be improving. And if he does really poorly, then bring the ready to feed. I would tuck in a couple cans of powder just in case they make you toss it. You might also have your doctor write a note explaining why you have to have ready to feed. But we have gone through security several times with whole milk in sippy cups or breast milk in bottles and they have never made us toss it.
    I don't know how much you can trust the water in St. John, in case you do bring powder. Can anybody else speak to this?

ETA--SO sorry about the preggers comment... I was DEEPLY confused (COMPLETELY misread your siggie). Please accept my most humble apologies. (I hope this mistake is less offensive when I don't know you in person, LOL).
    Last edited by Dr C; 11-21-2010 at 09:45 PM.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We went to St. John when our boys were 3 years, and 14 months. We had a fantastic time! You will love it.

Formula - can't answer this one as they were over 1. There is a grocery store on the island for food, but it was really expensive, like double the US prices. Not sure about baby food either, since DS2 was already on table food then. As for the comment about trusting the water, I can't speak to that either. I honestly don't remember what we did, but I think the hotel water was fine.

For naps, we were always pretty diligent with our kids' naps, but that's just us. I think you need to do what works best for your family.

Stroller - definitely bring it. Even if just to give your back a break for a little while!

have a great time!
    Erin

DS1 2/04
    DS2 5/06
    DD 10/09

Thanks so much for all this helpful advice!

ErinMC, do you remember what activities you did with your LOs? I just started researching things to do, and I'm pretty sure we can't take our 9 month old baby snorkeling, so...

By the way, I'm not preggers... not gonna be again for a looong time!

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We've been to St. John several times, but without our kids. I would bring your formula as the grocery store is decent, but very expensive. Like others already said...bring your powder stuff just in case. The water is fine on St John. We drank it and never had any issues, but you can always buy gallons of water from the grocery store. I would definitely bring your stroller!

As for things to do...St. John is really all about the beautiful beaches. We hiked and snorkeled a bit, but it was mostly a relaxing vacation. Are you staying at a resort or renting a villa? Renting a jeep? The restaurants in Cruz Bay are wonderful!

Enjoy your vacation! I am so jealous! It is my most favorite place on earth

ETA: I would bring food that your little one likes. Even when DH and I go there we pack a suitcase full of food items since it is so expensive.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

Quote Originally Posted by willow33 View Post
    We've been to St. John several times, but without our kids. I would bring your formula as the grocery store is decent, but very expensive. Like others already said...bring your powder stuff just in case. The water is fine on St John. We drank it and never had any issues, but you can always buy gallons of water from the grocery store. I would definitely bring your stroller!

As for things to do...St. John is really all about the beautiful beaches. We hiked and snorkeled a bit, but it was mostly a relaxing vacation. Are you staying at a resort or renting a villa? Renting a jeep? The restaurants in Cruz Bay are wonderful!

Enjoy your vacation! I am so jealous! It is my most favorite place on earth
    omg... I'm so glad to hear that you love St. John! We're staying at a resort... DH actually has a conference there, so DS and I are tagging along (he'll be free everyday after 12pm, which I hope works out well with DS' nap schedule)!

Are there a lot of places to walk/stroll around? Are the roads pedestrian-friendly? Is that why we'd need a stroller?

If you can recommend a few yummy restaurants, I'd really appreciate it! Super nice or super cheap- whatever! We love food!!

Are you planning on checking or carrying on the RTF formula? I've traveled with BM many times and haven't had an issue. Depending on how long you are going for, carrying enough of the RTF might be a risk with TSA. I would look into at the very least the concentrated version and use bottled water. I went to Mexico when I was pregnant and never had an issue with the water there, so I really doubt that the water in St. John's will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeachykeen View Post
    Are you planning on checking or carrying on the RTF formula? I've traveled with BM many times and haven't had an issue. Depending on how long you are going for, carrying enough of the RTF might be a risk with TSA. I would look into at the very least the concentrated version and use bottled water. I went to Mexico when I was pregnant and never had an issue with the water there, so I really doubt that the water in St. John's will be a problem.
    I'm just bringing 1 bottle of RTF on the plane. The rest I would check-in... I have a feeling my luggage is going to go over the weight limit. We had to pay a (minimal) fee for DS, even though we didn't buy him his own seat. Does that mean he gets to check in 1 piece of luggage for free? *fingers crossed*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast