Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Totally normal, those first 6 weeks are horrible. Do read Happiest Baby on the Block. My DD would only sleep in a swing for the first 6 weeks of life. Once she hit 6 weeks, I started transitioning her to the crib. First I put the swing in her room so she got used to sleeping outside of our room. I started with her best nap (her first nap of the morning) when I knew she would sleep easily and I wasn't desperate to get her to sleep (like I was at night). After a couple of days of that, I added a second nap, and a third until she did all of her naps in the crib. Then once she was comfortable with that, I started it at night. It was really hard, but swaddling helped a lot. Now DD is 7 months old, STTN every night like a champ in her crib. So don't worry, you are fine and you can handle this.

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

sounds ok to me, but i'm sure it's hell living through it.

if you'd like some more 'btdt' with suggestions but no dogma, try reading the archives on askmoxie dot org - that site is a lifesaver! i found it trying to fix some diaper rash & have been devoted ever since.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Now that you mention it, there was a very short stretch when I remember crying at 3 or 4 am several nights in a row feeling like I'd never sleep, and I was so discouraged, just like OP.

But, I had truly forgotten it. It was a very short, but very hard, time.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Agreed, sounds pretty normal.

I have a champion sleeper on my hands and I don't think she started going 4-6 hour stretches until 10 weeks old or so. I second the recommendation to keep working on "night is night". Only use dim lights on at night (in her room the lamp dims), use a quiet voice, try to keep activities low key. I always changed the diapers - just suffered through the screaming and tried to be as quick as possible, then nursed after to calm her. Also, she went through a phase where she would only sleep while being held during naps. I just went with it, and I'm happy I did. She sleeps in her crib with no problems 10 hours a night now. Also, if that is the case for you I would HIGHLY recommend the moby wrap.

Also, she would never sleep in her bassinet (honestly it didn't seem comfortable to me either - such a thin mattress) and so I just kept putting her in the crib.

As hard as it was for a while . . .what I wouldn't give to do it again. It really is such a tough time, but so amazing too. Congrats on your baby and hang in there.

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!!

It sounds like we should just keep doing what we're doing and that eventually things will work themselves out. I'll keep reminding myself of that when I'm feeling desperate!

I like the suggestion of using the naps to try and transition her to her bed - thanks!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Around that age, DS went through a growth spurt and wanted to nurse every 1.5-2 hours day and night, when he usually nursed every 3. So maybe that's part of the reason she's waking up so much, and if so, it will be over in a few days and she'll go back to sleeping longer stretches.

I know a lot of people talk about 8 week old babies who STTN, but IME, it's more common that they don't. DS slept n 8 hour stretch once at 2 months, then never again for quite a while. It was at 2-2.5 months that he started doing a 5.5-6 hour stretch.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sorry. Hugs to you. I remember how horrible it was. The No Cry Sleep solution helped me immensely, as well as throwing all out the "don't advice" I'd gotten, and doing it anyway (rocking to sleep, swinging to sleep, driving to sleep - sometimes we were too tired to do that safely so of course then we didn't!).

They will sleep eventually.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Update

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, advice, and support! I don't really have many "mom" friends, so I often feel like I'm flying blind with this baby stuff! With the worst of those no-sleep nights, I felt like crying, and the "advice" I was getting from in-laws and otherwise well-meaning friends and family was making me feel like I was a crummy mom. This message board helped me keep some perspective.

My husband and I ended up starting sleep training when she was 7 weeks - I was worried it would be too early but I discussed it at length with my pediatrician first and with his encouragement, decided to try it out and if she couldn't handle it, wait another week and try again and so on. While I think my daughter initially had a growth spurt to start the terrible sleep cycle, I think she soon started using me as a human pacifier, and I couldn't imagine continuing that cycle as I returned to work after the holidays! Anyways, we heavily relied on the Mindell book and took things pretty slow.

I am happy to report that my now 8-week old DD sleeps in 4-4.5 hr stretches, and is actually sleeping in her crib!!! I couldn't be happier. I realize there will be setbacks along the way, but I feel like we've made a giant leap forward.

Yay! That's a great update! I don't want to be a downer, but I have learned that just when LO seems to finally be settled in a routine, something changes (teething, illness, growth spurt etc) and you feel like you're back to square one again. I don't mean to be discouraging at all, but if that does happen, just know its completely normal. There are just so many variables affecting our LO's.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Default sound sleep for babies

We did a schedule, but also used lots of sleep aids. A sound machine is a must! We tried several and found a Sleepy Bee to be our bestfriend (sleepybees.com) The ocean wave puts her right to sleep. Also around 6 pm at night we would start winding down. Turn the lights down, TV off, give her a warm bath, baby massage. Give her all the ques that it's time for bed. It might take a week, but soon she will catch on that that all these things mean bedtime, but your baby will get it soon enough! Good Luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2