Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Talk to me about mama cloth

I have heavy flow. I am interested in mama cloth. Please recommend:
    a brand
    a size
    how many (I have heavy flow for about 3-4 days -- we do wash every day)

Also please
    how do you wash?
    can you wash with other clothes?
    is it gross?

Thanks!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have several from party in my pants. I like the flannel better. It's not gross, much less so and the paper and adhesive IMO. I wear fabric on my body from everything else this just seems like clothes. I liked the larger/overnight pads in paper, the ulrathing but long ones. So I prefer for heavy days the I go with the queen pad or overnight pad they make. I am plus sized, but I find that without that length, laying down things travel and leak, I found this with paper too.
    I was them alone, with Charlies Soap, which I use for my dipes too. I wouldn't use fabric softener or anything as build up affects the absorbency of fabrics. I have a planetwise wet/dry bag. I keep them in the dry side and move them to the wet bag, wash the lot when my period is over, put them back in the dry side and hang it in the closet until next time. It's one additional load of laundry per month, much comfier and after the initial out put of cost, cheaper.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Are you interested in using something like a diva cup or sea sponge internally with mama cloth as a back-up, or just mama cloth for your entire period?

I use a Diva cup with cloth pantiliners as backup.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I also use a Diva cup with mama cloth for backup. AF is very heavy, I couldn't use just cloth (or just disposable pads for that matter). I have one from Party In My Pants and I really like that one. I have a couple from LunaPads, and they are my least favorite. Most of mine are from here: http://hyenacart.com/Rachelslegalpad/
    I like them a lot and like supporting a young entrepreneur. Her pads are still a great price but they used to be dirt cheap. I honestly think she figured out she wasn't really making any money!
    I don't think it is gross, but honestly if that were all I was using for my heavy flow, then yeah I would probably be a bit grossed out. As it is, it's no big deal. I wash them with towels and rags, although I've thrown them in with clothes a couple times too. I use whatever "free" detergent is on sale for all our clothes and no softener or dryer sheets.
    I need to get a wet bag to use.

ETA: I loooooooove the Diva cup. Changed my life.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks all. I do use a diva cup about every other month and like it but I still need a pretty absorbant pad. And sometimes I just don't feel like using the Diva.

Thanks for the links ladies! I think I will try a couple and see how it goes.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I loooooooove the Diva cup. Changed my life.
    Amen to that.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Edensmum View Post
    I was them alone, with Charlies Soap, which I use for my dipes too. I wouldn't use fabric softener or anything as build up affects the absorbency of fabrics. I have a planetwise wet/dry bag. I keep them in the dry side and move them to the wet bag, wash the lot when my period is over, put them back in the dry side and hang it in the closet until next time. It's one additional load of laundry per month, much comfier and after the initial out put of cost, cheaper.
    Ok, I've got to get that bag. Your method sounds much more organized and neat than mine!

I've posted this before in the Butts/Diapering forum. We had a long discussion years ago on the topic of "mama cloth".

Up until several years ago, I had the most horrific menstrual cramps every single month. My periods would last 7-8 days, and were so heavy for at least 4 days that I became anemic, went through a whole pack of super heavy pads, and had to take 800 mg. of Motrin every 4 hours just to make it through the day. It was bad.

Then I read about "mama-cloth" (cloth pads), and how for many women, it cured their problems. I am normally a pretty squeamish person, and it sounded a bit gross to me, but I was willing to try anything! The very first cycle that I used cloth pads, my period was only 4 days long--versus 8! It was what I would consider a "normal" period, just used regular size pads, and the cramps were so mild I only took some Tylenol once.

The next time, and every month after that, my periods were so much lighter, only lasted 3-4 days, and my cramps were either non-existent, or so mild that I didn't feel the need to take anything at all.

This for me was a miracle! And for anyone who thinks it was just a coincidence, when my family went on Christmas vacation about a year ago, I didn't want the inconvenience of using cloth pads, so I brought along disposables. Once again, I was in terrible pain, and had a hard time enjoying my vacation. That "test" proved it to me!

Here is a link to a wonderful article that convinced me to try cloth pads:
    http://www.fresh-moon.com/article_2/...ent-Part-1.php

Most cloth pads have "wings" that wrap around your underwear just like regular Maxi-pads, and snap instead of adhesive. Or some of them are wingless, and just stay in your underwear from the friction of fleece backing against your underwear. I personally prefer wings for the security (no worries of them falling off, and they protect my underwear).

I prefer fleece topped pads because they keep you feeling dry. If you want all-natural, you can get organic velour topped, which still keep you dryer than plain cotton (just not quite as dry as fleece). Flannel starts out soft, but gets very rough and scratchy over time. And I prefer fleece or wool backed, rather than PUL, which is slippery against your underwear, and makes me sweat (it's not breathable; but it is totally waterproof).

Here's a great website, where I have bought many of my pads (and cloth diapers for my babies through the same lady):
    http://www.diaperware.com/mooncare/mooncare.htm

I like:
    Fresh Moon Pads (prefer the AIO/All-in-One style) though many people like the ones where you can snap in a fresh soaker to the body.

Fussybutt Moonbow pads

I've never tried the Swaddlebees or the SMJAE pads, but they sure look nice!

Many people love the newly restyled LunaPads or Glad Rags. I tried them years back and didn't like them, but I hear they have changed for the better.

Both Happy Heiny's and FuzziBunz pads have PUL backing which I don't like, and they are not very absorbent in my opinion.

Rhythm & Blues were so bulky and clumsy!

My body personally cannot stand anything in it such as the Diva Cup or Sea Sponges, but many mamas are huge fans of the Diva Cup. It gives me cramps.

Wash/Care
    If you cloth diaper, this will all be so much easier to understand and figure out

I have a diaper sprayer on my toilet like this for our cloth diapers, but I use
    it to rinse off my pads into the toilet: http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?item=3871&catid=497&ret=catalog.php%3F categ\
    ory%3D497

You could also rinse them off into the bathtub drain.

Then I put them into a wet-bag such as like this, that I hang on a hook in the shower (if i had my own bathroom away from small children, I would just set it on the floor next to the toilet, or hang it on the back of the door knob). But this way it's out of sight and little hands http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?category=498

Every three days I wash them the way I do cloth diaper laundry, OR Long hot wash with 1/2 the amount of detergent, and an extra rinse if they still smell at all.

I'm sure there are still many questions! Ask away if you'd like!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

These are where my pads are from - I really like them and they're holding up well after over a year of use. Her customer service is great too: http://homesteademporium.com
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Ok, I've got to get that bag. Your method sounds much more organized and neat than mine!
    fun fabrics too.
    http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=2138

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast