urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default one night near lax, need late check-in and checkout. anything fun to do?

it's likely we'll be stuck, mid-travel, in los angeles. we arrive around 8:30pm and then will fly out the following night at 11pm.

are there any nearby hotels, that would be good for 3 adults and 2 kids? we'll need a pack n' play and hopefully we can get a really late checkout. is there such a thing as a 7pm checkout?

how should we spend our day, without renting a car... and hopefully fitting in one afternoon nap?

any ideas will be much appreciated!

I think the 7pm checkout for free will not happen, sorry!

Do you mind public transport? If you stay near the airport, you can get to Downtown/Union Station pretty easily. From their you can walk to Olvera St. It is the site of the original puebla of LA. It's touristy, but there is real history there too. Keep in mind it's pretty safe, but you are in a major urban center, so if you're not used to that sort of thing you might feel uncomfortable.

ETA: just saw the nap requirement, so my idea might not work.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

lots of nice hotels in the area (i've stayed at Doubletree which is very nice...freshly baked cookies when you check in ). most (if not all) hotels near LAX have free shuttles from the airport (so u wouldn't have to get a taxi or anything) but as for seeing other stuff in the area without a car, i don't know. i've always been too chicken to take public transportation there (i lived there for a year).

also, i don't see how you will get a 7pm checkout without paying for an extra night. i'm sure some places will hold your luggage for free for that long, but IMO it sounds like it would be a PITA to deal with not having a place to stay for 8 hours when you have kids, esp if u want to get a nap in.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know the LA area that well, but I can share that my DS once took a nap sitting on my lap on the trolley in San Francisco.

So if you can get to one of the "lines" (they're color coded) in LA, maybe you could just ride for a while in the afternoon?

Sorry, I live in Orange County, but I really know virtually NOTHING about public transportation in LA.

I agree that a 7 p.m. check-out is going to be a no-go, but you should be able to stow your luggage at the hotel.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

On our last trip to California we stayed in the Hilton by the airport for one night and it was very nice. The rooms were very roomy (you can easily fit a pnp), I love the Hilton bed, and they let us return our rental car at the hotel. They have free shuttles to the airport.

The only LOL thing is that at the time we were there they just happened to be hosting some kind of dominatrix convention. There were some very questionable outfits worn around the lobby. The kids didn't notice at all but DH and I were dying with laughter.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...ornia/index.do
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It doesn't hurt to ask, or try to negotiate, but I'm guessing you're going to get stuck paying for that extra hotel day if you want to stay that late.

Alternately they will likely keep your luggage for you at the concierge and you could take a cab somewhere sight-seeing that day, then go back to the hotel, get luggage and shuttle to LAX. There are many hotels right across the street. I'd look for one with a breakfast included.

You've got a good ratio there for sight-seeing, the adults outnumber the children.

Maybe you could find somewhere in Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica or Manhatten Beach. In Santa Monica you could do the Pier and if you get bored there walk to Third Street. They're all under 30 min. to LAX and places I'd feel more comfortable to just bum around for the day. Ask the hotel concierge for day trip suggestions, too!
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

thanks for all the great ideas! i've called around a bit and there are some lax hotels that offer 1/2 day rates, including one place that offers a 24 hour stay (too bad they're booked!). now i'll just keep my fingers crossed that all five of us make it on our standby flight!

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    it's likely we'll be stuck, mid-travel, in los angeles. we arrive around 8:30pm and then will fly out the following night at 11pm.

are there any nearby hotels, that would be good for 3 adults and 2 kids? we'll need a pack n' play and hopefully we can get a really late checkout. is there such a thing as a 7pm checkout?

how should we spend our day, without renting a car... and hopefully fitting in one afternoon nap?

any ideas will be much appreciated!
    We took a red eye from LAX this summer after visiting Disneyland, and no, could not get a 7pm checkout at our hotel because it was full. We ended up paying for one extra night stay at an airport hotel so all of us could nap, have dinner and take a shower before our flight. Do you have any elite frequent flyer members in your party? If you do, you can use that airline's airport lounge, which may have showers and seats. The Red Carpet club at LAX had showers, lots of food and lots of comfy armchairs so the kids could take a nap. If not, it's worth it to pay for that extra night stay at your airport hotel to use the room until 7pm.