Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Update: Skip Hop Versa review -- Versa = LOVE

I got home so late last night that I didn’t have time to really fill the bag and test it out, but here are my initial impressions. I’ll update after I actually have a chance to use it.

Initial impressions:

Size:
    Lengthwise, it’s not much shorter than the Studio Tote when expanded. But it doesn’t have the bottle pockets on either end like the Studio Tote does, which makes it a tad shorter. I have to take better measurement when I have the zipper closed. It’s not as deep (front to back) as the ST, which also makes it a little smaller.

Exterior:
    I got the all black. The fabric has a nice feel to it, although you can tell it’s a satiny nylon when you rub your hand on it. Feels like it will clean up well if needed. I thought the fabric of the all black was nicer than the rose flower. The faux leather trim on the pockets is quite fake to the feel, but because the trim is black on black fabric, you don’t see that faux-ness at all.

Pockets:
    One full length exterior zipper pocket on the back, which holds the changing pad. One small zipper pocket at the top of the front, which I think is for a cell phone. Two expandable zipper pockets on either side of the front of the back, and two open pockets (for bottles, I think) resting over those. The bottle pockets don’t feel as deep as those on the ST, so I will have to see how well the 9-oz Born Free bottles fit in these pockets. Four interior pockets (two lining the front of the bag, two lining the back). These seem to be the same size as the 4 larger interior pockets of the ST.

Interior:
    I couldn’t decide between the black and the rose flower pattern because I loved the blue accent of the rose flower. But the lining of the black bag is the same blue! This is also the color of the lining of the front expandable pockets. The interior fabric is ripstop nylon, so it should be easy to clean.

The bag is also very lightweight.

That’s it for now. Hope that helps someone!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Update:
    I had the opportunity to use the Versa over the Thanksgiving holiday, both as a diaper bag and a purse. I absolutely love it. Thanks to those of you who talked me into looking at it a second time.

The Versa is nearly as long as the Studio Tote, (ST) especially when expanded, but it isn't as deep (front to back). The ST has more of a flat, rectangular bottom and the Versa's bottom is more narrow and hobo-like.

There is plenty of room inside for my wallet. Because the changing pad fits in the zipper pocket across the back, there is an extra pocket inside that I can use for my wallet (this pocket is used for the changing pad in the ST). My blackberry fits with room to spare in the cell phone pocket. I really can't tell if the front slash pockets or the front zipper pockets are the insulated bottle pockets. I took photos with a 9-oz Born Free bottle in the front slash pocket. It can get a little bulky with a bottle there AND other stuff in the zipper pocket.

I have not tried the stroller straps yet, but they connect down each side of the back, and add a nice detail. There is a D-ring right near the top of each side where the stroller strap would attach when wrapped around the stroller handle. I like that the stroller straps have their own built-in storage spot. The stroller straps of the ST just hang inside and they are always in the way.

For an all-day outing, I would use my ST. But this bag is perfect for shorter outings and quick trips, and times when I might have to quickly switch between a diaper bag and a purse. Oh, and it has a blue lining which I absolutely LOVE

Some photos:

Expanded:

Closed with ST behind (ST has nothing in it so it is rather floppy):

Inside:

Changing pad in back zipper pocket:

Bottle in front slash pocket:

Last edited by TwoBees; 11-30-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Updated and added photos
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Sounds nice! I'd love to see pictures if you can do them

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    Sounds nice! I'd love to see pictures if you can do them
    Thanks. I'll try to do that over the holiday weekend.

BTW, your screen name cracks me up!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sounds good. You've been wanting the Versa for a while, right? I'm glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by liamsmom View Post
    Sounds good. You've been wanting the Versa for a while, right? I'm glad you like it!
    Yeah, but I passed it over the first time because I thought it was too big (I'm looking for something smaller). But now that I have it at home, I think it might be just right. Plus, there are things I love about my Studio Tote that this has as well, most notably the light-colored lining to help find things inside!

Update in first post

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    BTW, your screen name cracks me up!
    lol..thanks! And than you for posting pics.. I actually ordered the Studio Tote but when it came I wasn't crazy about it. I got the champagne color and it felt a little too "blingy" for me. I thought about the Pewter Dot pattern, and then these came out... and now I have something new to lust after!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I got home so late last night that I didn’t have time to really fill the bag and test it out, but here are my initial impressions. I’ll update after I actually have a chance to use it.

Initial impressions:

Size:
    Lengthwise, it’s not much shorter than the Studio Tote when expanded. But it doesn’t have the bottle pockets on either end like the Studio Tote does, which makes it a tad shorter. I have to take better measurement when I have the zipper closed. It’s not as deep (front to back) as the ST, which also makes it a little smaller.

Exterior:
    I got the all black. The fabric has a nice feel to it, although you can tell it’s a satiny nylon when you rub your hand on it. Feels like it will clean up well if needed. I thought the fabric of the all black was nicer than the rose flower. The faux leather trim on the pockets is quite fake to the feel, but because the trim is black on black fabric, you don’t see that faux-ness at all.

Pockets:
    One full length exterior zipper pocket on the back, which holds the changing pad. One small zipper pocket at the top of the front, which I think is for a cell phone. Two expandable zipper pockets on either side of the front of the back, and two open pockets (for bottles, I think) resting over those. The bottle pockets don’t feel as deep as those on the ST, so I will have to see how well the 9-oz Born Free bottles fit in these pockets. Four interior pockets (two lining the front of the bag, two lining the back). These seem to be the same size as the 4 larger interior pockets of the ST.

Interior:
    I couldn’t decide between the black and the rose flower pattern because I loved the blue accent of the rose flower. But the lining of the black bag is the same blue! This is also the color of the lining of the front expandable pockets. The interior fabric is ripstop nylon, so it should be easy to clean.

The bag is also very lightweight.

That’s it for now. Hope that helps someone!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Update:
    I had the opportunity to use the Versa over the Thanksgiving holiday, both as a diaper bag and a purse. I absolutely love it. Thanks to those of you who talked me into looking at it a second time.

The Versa is nearly as long as the Studio Tote, (ST) especially when expanded, but it isn't as deep (front to back). The ST has more of a flat, rectangular bottom and the Versa's bottom is more narrow and hobo-like.

There is plenty of room inside for my wallet. Because the changing pad fits in the zipper pocket across the back, there is an extra pocket inside that I can use for my wallet (this pocket is used for the changing pad in the ST). My blackberry fits with room to spare in the cell phone pocket. I really can't tell if the front slash pockets or the front zipper pockets are the insulated bottle pockets. I took photos with a 9-oz Born Free bottle in the front slash pocket. It can get a little bulky with a bottle there AND other stuff in the zipper pocket.

I have not tried the stroller straps yet, but they connect down each side of the back, and add a nice detail. There is a D-ring right near the top of each side where the stroller strap would attach when wrapped around the stroller handle. I like that the stroller straps have their own built-in storage spot. The stroller straps of the ST just hang inside and they are always in the way.

For an all-day outing, I would use my ST. But this bag is perfect for shorter outings and quick trips, and times when I might have to quickly switch between a diaper bag and a purse. Oh, and it has a blue lining which I absolutely LOVE

Some photos:

Expanded:

Closed with ST behind (ST has nothing in it so it is rather floppy):

Inside:

Changing pad in back zipper pocket:

Bottle in front slash pocket:

Thanks for pics! I have the same Studio Tote as you and have been lusting after the Versa since I saw it!! I finally found one for $52 and bought it. I got the black one. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Your review pushed me to finally get it. I love my Studio Tote, but found it to be a little big for my daily needs. The Versa seems perfect so far. I will keep the ST for when I have both kids (one is in preschool 3 days a week) with me for the day.

I almost wish that I had gone with the cream links though. I went with Black because I thought it would go with more of my everyday wear, and my stroller (a BJCM in crimson). But I am not regretting my purchase at all.

Default What bag do you recommend?

wrong thread

Default Does anyone have a modeling shot of the versa?

I'd love to see a picture of how this bag looks on if someone has one. It is more of a shoulder bag than a long, messenger type, right? After this review, I'm giving this bag another look. I really like the look of cream links but of course am *scared* of its creaminess. LOL
    Sadly no furbabies at the moment.
    DS 06/10
    DD 08/14
    DS 02/17

Strolling in a tricked out girly Versa, Mac Ryder "spitfire", & Bob!! The perfect line up for me... for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast