Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Best shower/body wash for very dry skin?

Well cold weather plus dry heat equals very dry skin. I look like I have baby powder on my legs they are so dry. Can anyone recommend a good shower gel/cream/soap that would be good for me to try. I know that the best solution is slathering on thick cream after my shower but honestly I'm lucky I have time to shampoo and dry off so I'm looking for something that will help while showering.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lovebebes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

if you have dry skin i honestly dont think a body wash can really make a difference. Maybe some are less drying than others but you wont get rid of the dry winter skin via body wash.
    It would be great if you could slather some oil like Burts Bees apricot baby oil on your skin when it was still damp post shower.
    DD S 2002
    DD L born sleeping 04.2006
    DD L 2007
    Finally our littlest rainbow is here!
    DD C 2010

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had good luck last winter with Olay Body Wash with "Ribbons" and plan to use it again this winter (now?). I do not have dry skin by nature but as you note cold weather for months plus dry heat equals dry itchy skin. I am like you and like to minimize my getting ready steps as much as possible and thus I do not do well with slathering on post shower.
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I this $2 product recommended to me here. (I need to look that BBBer up and heartily thank her.)

I did not have time to towel dry and lotion either, but I do have time to slather on this herbal oil before toweling off. Love it! It is in the ethnic section, and full of natural oils, no icky parabens or anything like that.

If you are messy with it, it is not good for your pipes or the slickness of your shower floor, but it's a thick enough oil for you to prevent that from happening if you are careful.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I made a sugar scrub using grapeseed oil and jojoba oil from Trader Joes & sugar and a few drops of essential oil that was very moisturizing & exfoiliating. It does make your shower/tub slippery & icky after awhile but leaves you baby soft! I don't use soap at all when my skin is very dry - just water and a washcloth.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I know you said no time to lotion up after bath, but I still must say that this year I have been slathering myself with amlactin right after my shower, and my skin is oh so soft and supple. Otherwise every winter I have itchy scaly super dry skin. I got the bottle from costco and just love it. Also I am trying to use as less soap/body wash as possible. I liked the shikai moisturizing shower gel I got from TJ's last year, it was really very genteel and had no soap.
    Last edited by Myira; 11-28-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got a bar of castile soap over the summer at an art fair. I feel like it helps with my dry skin. Also, I am just using less soap in general and trying to spend less time in the shower.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

WHen i lived in Chicago suburb (super cold and dry!) i definitely saw a difference in my skin when i switched to Dove Nutrium body wash. it comes in a bar too, but i liked the wash in winter. then i lotioned up with something really thick.

definitely try to slather up with some kind of lotion after shower. it really helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by srhs View Post
    Not exactly what you are looking for, but I this $2 product recommended to me here. (I need to look that BBBer up and heartily thank her.)

I did not have time to towel dry and lotion either, but I do have time to slather on this herbal oil before toweling off. Love it! It is in the ethnic section, and full of natural oils, no icky parabens or anything like that.

If you are messy with it, it is not good for your pipes or the slickness of your shower floor, but it's a thick enough oil for you to prevent that from happening if you are careful.

I think that was me!!! I was all set to respond to the op's question with "get some Africa's Best herbal oil!". Seriously, it is fantastic! Your skin will glow and feel soft and supple and not at all oily. I buy it four bottles at a time. It is not too heavy and has no nasty chemicals in it.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just wanted to add that after the recent NYTimes article about not showering as often, I have cut back on my all over washings...to about 1 a week. Two other times I will jump in the shower to wash the necessary areas and skip my legs and arms and torso. My skin is amazingly less dry -- oh and there is no significant increase in my stinky factor (I asked DH, who would totally tell me if there was). I also pat dry...instead of rubbing.

Dry skin is no fun!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast