Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MmeSunny View Post
    I think that was me!!! I was all set to respond to the op's question with "get some Africa's Best herbal oil!". Seriously, it is fantastic! Your skin will glow and feel soft and supple and not at all oily. I buy it four bottles at a time. It is not too heavy and has no nasty chemicals in it.

Lolabee is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I've found the key is to make sure you exfoliate well in the shower (either with a sugar type scrub or with a loofah) and to then follow up with a really gentle but rich moisturizer right after you towel off. I was having similar problems last winter and after a bit of experimenting I finally found this to work the best for me.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think that was me!!! I was all set to respond to the op's question with "get some Africa's Best herbal oil!". Seriously, it is fantastic! Your skin will glow and feel soft and supple and not at all oily. I buy it four bottles at a time. It is not too heavy and has no nasty chemicals in it.
    So, does this stuff absorb pretty quickly? I don't have much time in the morning and can't wait for it to absorb. Also, how does it smell?

ETA: I agree with the others that Olay or similar bodywashes may help, but a good moisturizer after shower is prob best. I also recently read that if you have dry skin, you should wash your face, underarms, genitals, and feet, and try not to soap up other body parts.
    Last edited by DrSally; 11-28-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    So, does this stuff absorb pretty quickly? I don't have much time in the morning and can't wait for it to absorb. Also, how does it smell?
    I rub it on while I am still fully wet in the shower but after I have turned off the water. Then I towel off and it's done. There is no residue on my towels. I don't use handfuls of the stuff--only about a dime to quarter sized amount for each extremity. I find it much quicker than lotion. It doesn't have to really be rubbed in just rubbed on.

I really like the smell. It's sort of baby type smell--clean ish sort of. Hard to describe. It's not over powering and I can't smell it after the toweling unless I really stick my nose on my skin.

I rub it on while I am still fully wet in the shower but after I have turned off the water. Then I towel off and it's done. There is no residue on my towels. I don't use handfuls of the stuff--only about a dime to quarter sized amount for each extremity. I find it much quicker than lotion. It doesn't have to really be rubbed in just rubbed on.

I really like the smell. It's sort of baby type smell--clean ish sort of. Hard to describe. It's not over powering and I can't smell it after the toweling unless I really stick my nose on my skin.
    OK! Sounds great. I could just keep the bottle in the shower. For some odd reason, only one of the Walgreens by me carries it.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    OK! Sounds great. I could just keep the bottle in the shower. For some odd reason, only one of the Walgreens by me carries it.
    Same here, and they never have more than 3 bottles at a time. And another Wags about 20 mins away has it slightly higher--$2.19. I do the same as PP--rub on right after I turn off the water and before I towel-dry. I do have some residue on my towel, so I maybe I am using too much.
    I used to do this same routine with baby oil, and it was pretty messy. Then I switched to creamy baby oil, and it worked well for the purpose but was full of icky ingredients.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok, I'm intrigued. I live in rural USA with very few people of color so I may have to hunt around for it.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I got some of the Africa's best oil, keep it in the shower, and just put a few drops on after turning off the water, then pat dry. It's pretty moisturizing, but not oily if you don't put too much on. I don't find the smell strong. I checked out Neutrogena sesame body oil and it has a lot of perservatives. This has no preservatives (hope it doesn't go rancid). In the winter, I have to use so much lotion to be properly moisturized, so just using a few drops of oil is nice. I get a pimple on my back, so not sure if it's from that. I just don't use it on my upper back now. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I used this stuff when my sister sold it (kinda pricey) and it was amazing.
    https://www.arbonne.com/shop_online/...52&withLinks=1 I've never had the time to try other brands to find something comparable.

Not sure if you have a water softner or not, but we turned ours up a few more notches to help with the dry sking. I also try not to use soap/creams/gels too much on my body. I mostly just wash my hair and face in the shower, unless I'm actually dirty.
    Last edited by newg; 01-06-2011 at 09:57 PM.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's been awhile since I went to the dermatologist, but last time I was there she told me to use Olay body wash. She did mention, like pp's, that it won't replenish moisture but it very helpful in keeping moisture in. For DS, she recommended Dove sensitive bar soap. We were also told to only shower no more than every other day in the winter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast