Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Did you cut out caffeine entirely during pregnancy?

During the first trimester I cut it out completely, and now into the second trimester I have cut down to one cup of caffeinated coffee a day (and no other beverages containing caffeine). But, one of my friends (who doesn't have any children) was shocked that I was drinking any at all.

So, did you cut it out completely during pregnancy?

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, 100% cold turkey. I also cut out artificial sweetner 100%.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

In the first trimester, the smell of coffee makes me nauseated. And if you knew how much I my coffee, you'd know how sad that is for me LOL! After that I generally drank 2 mugs a day.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No, I didn't cut it out.

I figured if some women were still drinking wine then I could still have
    a Pepsi.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had 1-2 cups a day with the OK of my OB. Both kids. Really, really not a big deal.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I didnt cut it out completely, but limited it. Maybe a soda a day, or if I had a headache and was desperate a cup of coffee that was half caf/half decaf.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm a tea drinker, so cutting coffee was never a problem.

I did switch to decaf tea when DD's heart defect was diagnosed, but I was 21 weeks at that point.

Along those lines, I tossed a number of my "standby" herbal teas because they contained some ingredients that could be risky in pregnancy and/or for people with heart defects.

I also did not cut out dark chocolate or cocoa. (There's a study out there about the relationship between moms who ate dark chocolate during pregnancy and babies' health, but I don't remember what it is. I saw it in the NY Times sometime in the last 2 weeks.)

The new recommendations I read all seem to agree that 1 or 2 cups (and I'll remind everyone that a "cup" in this case is usually meant to be a 6 oz serving) per day is OK, unless you're at an increased risk for MC ... unless I am missing something.

Most people err on the side of caution, but you have to do what you (and your doc or midwife) are comfortable with.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No. Reduced but not eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    During the first trimester I cut it out completely, and now into the second trimester I have cut down to one cup of caffeinated coffee a day (and no other beverages containing caffeine). But, one of my friends (who doesn't have any children) was shocked that I was drinking any at all.

So, did you cut it out completely during pregnancy?
    Nope. I did essentially what you did. With my first, the only thing I could tolerate drinking for a while was regular coke, but I definitely moderated it and kept it to one or two cans a day. She was fine.

With my second, I cut it out completely for maybe the first half, but only because I couldn't even keep water down for a long time, yet nothing but water appealed. Somewhere half-way through, I started having one caffeinated beverage a day (usually coke) and everything was just fine.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Not at all . My OB( s) 2 different groups of 4 docs each all said up to 3 caffeinated beverages were fine during pregnancy.
    My favorite phrase was.... Your pregnancy is not a disease. Eat healthy and in moderation and enjoy your pregnancy.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast