Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

This was our first year travelling for Thanksgiving. Normally, we go just an hour away. This year, we drove 15 hours each way. I will say my kids were totally awesome in the car! Sure, they asked to get out and move a few times, and we had potty breaks, but overall, it was good. And, we had a lot of fun for the 3 days we were there.

That said, I am so glad we don't do this often! Wow, what a disruption to the schedule, etc. I am still not recovered and we got home Sunday morning. I will be glad to do the hour next year .
    Kris

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post

I do want to see our family members, but I'm tired of being the ones to make all the travel effort....I also prefer to go at non-holiday times as it's much more relaxing and a better visit for all of us.

Maybe you can strike a deal with your DH...if you go at Thanksgiving, you stay home for Christmas. That's what will probably happen with us. You can also say you want to start your own family traditions - that's what's pushing me for Christmas at home - I want DS to wake up in his bed and run to the tree.
    yeah, i think going at non-holiday times is ideal, at least for me. i'm happy to deal with the long drive for a nephew's/niece's birthday party or whatever, at least when the traffic is not so bad, the crowds at stores/rest stops are not insanely packed and the entire time we are visiting were are not schlepping from one relative's house to another.

and i totally agree about talking about this early and not wanting to set a precedent...that is my main worry with DH and his family. it would be one thing if this was a once-in-a-blue moon thing that we were not expected to do, but i don't think this seems to be the case. i REALLY am not onboard with the idea of traveling every Thanksgiving or even every other one. i too want to start my own traditions at our own home and i do not want every single holiday to be one of me dizzy from headaches and lack of sleep and DS cranky because he is overwhelmed/tired or whatever from the disruption to the schedule and everything, and me and DH always arguing.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    i do not want every single holiday to be one of me dizzy from headaches and lack of sleep and DS cranky because he is overwhelmed/tired or whatever from the disruption to the schedule and everything, and me and DH always arguing.
    This has been us for the last 5 years for every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Put a stop to the expectation that you go to them. Once friends had their DD, they said they would be home every Christmas and people were welcome to visit them. A lot of our friends do not visit their family for every holiday - so don't think that you have to. It is nice to visit family for the holidays, but when it's a lot of traveling, every holiday is tooooooo much.

Tell you what...get in early and put out an invite for them to come to you next Thanksgiving...if you do stay at home, be prepared to make a big deal out of the holiday, invite friends over etc, otherwise your DH will complain that it's not the same.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You're not alone. Which is why after traveling ONCE for Thanksgiving (with the kids) we decided not to do it again. At least until everyone is too old to miss a week of school. Right now we travel the week after.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

So not alone. ITA with importance of starting your own family traditions, was lucky to get good advice about that early on. We each have our issues with being "good son" or "good daughter" in re family expectations. Have to remind one another that own relationship and role as parents is more important than our role as children/siblings/relatives. It's great to see family at holidays, but if the price is too high for you--money or stress-wise--OH WELL.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have travelled for holidays two times in our marriage and exactly zero of those times was after oldest baby was on the scene. I have zero issue saying that it is on those without the tiny people to travel. As such we usually have the holidays with various people in and out of our family who live locally. My ILs generally travel to see us around, but not on the holiday and at suits me fine.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Yes (unless I was traveling to my folks) and this is why I stayed home this year and cooked myself!

It was also my birthday and I really wanted my Mom's dressing/recipes and just decided to cook it myself!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2