Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think other posters are right, it could very well be the code they had to assign to get the u/s.

Is no fundal heights the new norm? It's been 3 years for me but it seems like a pretty good method, better than u/s if all is well.

Beth

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I didn't have a 36 week growth u/s but I had a 36 week u/s to check baby's position. Maybe that is the real reason they're doing it, but have to code it differently for insurance?
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had an u/s at 36 weeks with DS and it was coded close to that for insurance purposes. My OB does them as general practice (that was 6 years ago). With DD the u/s was at 28 weeks and again at 34 weeks. She told me she wanted something more accurate than she could do in house (not sure how much more accurate it was). FWIW, I gained 45 lbs with DS and 50 lbs with DD (and I'm a small person so I looked HUGE).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

kam is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks for all of the input. I've been sick and offline today, so it was great to log on and see all of this! I'm not going to let them induce me prior to 40 weeks without something other than "big" so that's ok.

It's a big academic practice, so I do generally trust them, and they're not c-section happy, which I like. Based on what you've all said, I'm starting to think this comes down to "we own the machine and want to use it."

Thanks, everyone!

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just keep in mind that there is no reason to induce at 40 weeks just because it's 40 weeks, or the baby is big either. A due date is give or take 2 weeks.

But even if they don't try to get you to induce, you could be in labor at 40 weeks, and it may not be going as fast as they want, and they'll pull the old "failure to progress" card, saying it's probably because your baby is so big, and you need pitocin or a C-section for your baby's own good. Just watch for that!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Again, I'm not worried about the pit issue -- I'm not averse to it if my labor does slow, and I've spoken to my obs about my comfort level. And my mom will be all over them.

Induction? I know there are two schools of thought to this, so I don't want to start a debate. But suffice it to say that my (and my family's) read of the data is that we will induce somewhere after 40 weeks but before 41. We're very sure of dates, and I'm not comfortable with going longer than that.

Update in post 1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2