Thread: NC ski resorts?

Default NC ski resorts?

Is there such a thing? We want to take DS skiing for the first time this winter. DH is from Canada and it's in his blood. We live in Florida and will probably drive to our destination. Any recs?
    Christie
    mommy to DS 08/07
    Riding in a Frontier 85, Boulevard, and True Fit

You could go to Boone, but if you are going to make the drive you may as well go to VA where the skiing is atleast a bit better than NC.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Quote Originally Posted by christiedavid3 View Post
    Is there such a thing? We want to take DS skiing for the first time this winter. DH is from Canada and it's in his blood. We live in Florida and will probably drive to our destination. Any recs?
    DH and his family used to drive up to Ski Beech from GA/AL when he was growing up (but that was a million years ago, dude is old ). In VA, I like Wintergreen, near Charlottesville.

If you can make the drive as far as WV, I'd recommend Canaan Valley, which is also near Whitegrass which has great cross country skiing and snowshoeing facilities. They get a ton of natural snow there.

Prepare your DH that mid-Atlantic skiing just is not like Canadian skiing at all. Smaller mountains, narrower runs, smaller resorts, less real snow, warmer weather, lots more bumbling idiots careening down the slopes.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    DH and his family used to drive up to Ski Beech from GA/AL when he was growing up (but that was a million years ago, dude is old ). In VA, I like Wintergreen, near Charlottesville.

If you can make the drive as far as WV, I'd recommend Canaan Valley, which is also near Whitegrass which has great cross country skiing and snowshoeing facilities. They get a ton of natural snow there.

Prepare your DH that mid-Atlantic skiing just is not like Canadian skiing at all. Smaller mountains, narrower runs, smaller resorts, less real snow, warmer weather, lots more bumbling idiots careening down the slopes.
    Yeah I know, and he was a ski instructor in Canada also, so his expectations are a little too high IMO. This trip is really to get DS on skis, and he'll only be 3.5, so we don't need anything big or extravagant.
    Christie
    mommy to DS 08/07
    Riding in a Frontier 85, Boulevard, and True Fit

Here's a link with resorts in the area.

http://www.skisoutheast.com/resort_locations.htm

I was in ski-wee school when I was young either at Beech or Sugar!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by christiedavid3 View Post
    Yeah I know, and he was a ski instructor in Canada also, so his expectations are a little too high IMO. This trip is really to get DS on skis, and he'll only be 3.5, so we don't need anything big or extravagant.

Where was he an instructor? You can PM if you prefer.

If he was an instructor in Ontario or Quebec, he will be OK IMO with any east coast ski hill, though Vermont will be your best choice.

If he was an instructor in Alberta or BC, I think he will be disappointed in most east coast ski hills.

My DH was/is an instructor here in BC and is a total ski snob for his own skiing. However, he will take the girls skiing pretty much anywhere with cheap kids tickets. He says at this age, its just about mileage on skis, not terrain. DD#1 started skiing at age 2.5 and DD#2 started a little bit last year (3) and again this year (turning 4 at the end of January).

HTH
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011