bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default NYC on Christmas Eve

We have no plans to visit family on Christmas Eve this year and DH is off. Does anyone have an idea how crazy NYC tourist stuff will be? I am thinking it may not be bad because most people will be traveling, but that may just be wishful thinking.

Our plan would be to take the LIRR into Penn and hit the Rockefeller Center area. I am thinking the bulk of the commuters will either be off or leaving the city early.

Am I way off?
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't been around that area on Xmas eve in a few years, but I always remember it being crazy crowded. Of course, it's very festive....but I really don't think it's going to be a quiet time. If you don't mind crowds, then you might have a wonderful time...especially if you are just playing it by ear and are flexible with walking around, etc.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We'll be there! We always go in on Christmas Eve but we head in early and we're back in NJ by late afternoon in time for church. We have lunch reservations made.

The crowds do thin out later in the day around the tree and the TS TRU will be mobbed; it's fun though and this year w/ another LO i'll have the stroller, hmmm not sure how that'll be!

I'd say definitely go and check it out. We're going in next week, just DH & myself and i want to check out Bryant Park, i've heard from a few people @ work that the tree and decorations are better than Rock?