Default ASD kids and holidays

I am trying to get my house ready for Christmas. Got the lights up outside. I put up the tree yesterday and put garland and lights around the banister. So far no reaction from the kids. None. They could care less about lights. I am so bummed! I loved looking at Christmas lights and they don't care. Last night I started putting together a train set to go under the tree. My mom had one last year and that was the only thing the kids seemed to be interested in.

We will be celebrating Christmas with DH's side of the family this weekend and mine in a couple weeks. So this will be the first Christmas in 10 yrs where we will be on our own on the actual holiday. It will certainly be different. But with this weekend coming up I know I will be stressed about how the boys do with unwrapping gifts. Again, they could care less. We essentially have to do it for them. I've never seen kids who don't want to unwrap a present. It sucks all of the fun out of it. Who doesn't like to see a child's face light up with excitement?

I'm trying to be in the holiday spirit but I feel like my children are missing out on that spirit.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know it must be very difficult to keep a positive attitude. Maybe they will surprise you and get caught up in the excitement this weekend.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by snowbunnies300 View Post
    I am trying to get my house ready for Christmas. Got the lights up outside. I put up the tree yesterday and put garland and lights around the banister. So far no reaction from the kids. None. They could care less about lights. I am so bummed! I loved looking at Christmas lights and they don't care. Last night I started putting together a train set to go under the tree. My mom had one last year and that was the only thing the kids seemed to be interested in.

We will be celebrating Christmas with DH's side of the family this weekend and mine in a couple weeks. So this will be the first Christmas in 10 yrs where we will be on our own on the actual holiday. It will certainly be different. But with this weekend coming up I know I will be stressed about how the boys do with unwrapping gifts. Again, they could care less. We essentially have to do it for them. I've never seen kids who don't want to unwrap a present. It sucks all of the fun out of it. Who doesn't like to see a child's face light up with excitement?

I'm trying to be in the holiday spirit but I feel like my children are missing out on that spirit.
    How did it go this past weekend? Holiday celebrations with family are often difficult for DS too. He never reacts the way that relatives expect him to. I understand what you mean about the presents; DS was like that for years. He is better at it now, but he used to refuse to unwrap presents, take toys out of the packaging, etc.

I'm sorry that the kids don't seem to enjoy the decorations. DS always gets anxious when we decorate for the holidays (change in the environment), but after a few days he starts to like the lights. Then he gets upset when we take everything down.

If your kids like the train under the tree, maybe you can make that a major element and see if it inspires their excitement.

The holidays can be really hard.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Thanks for the support! I haven't had much time to come back and post. Got the train set up and it DOESN'T WORK. I wanted to cry. DS2 & DS3 keep trying to get it to go. My parents said they had it working at their house and we've had it for a couple years in the garage on a shelf. This was only the second time it had been out of the box and it was new when my parents purchased it (was too big for their room/tree so they gave it to us). So DH needs to look at it further. BIL looked at it and couldn't get it to work either.

The family get together went as I expected. We had to drag DS1 into the room with everyone and sit him on my lap. I tried to get him to open his first of two gifts but he wanted nothing to do with it. We turned on Veggie Tales and he stood in front of the TV stimming. DS2 open his gift and then saw what DS1 got and then started playing with his toy. He wanted nothing to do with his second gift. DS3 opened his first gift (not too hard as it was in a bag) and loved it. Thus wanted nothing to do with gift number two.

We were able to get a family picture in front of the tree. We had several cameras going to see who could get the best picture. Getting all three to sit was not easy. The only really decent pix is all of us looking at the camera but only DH and I are smiling. Better than last year. Maybe one year I will have all three of us looking and smiling at the camera. At least no one was red-faced crying (you should see our family pix for the church directory...I'm sure everyone got a good laugh over that one).

Now on to the Santa party and my side of the family. I am still going all out. Made one batch of cut-out sugar cookies and have another batch waiting to be rolled and baked. I also have a batch of ginger bread cookies to roll and bake. I'm not sure how many batches of ginger bread I need to make as I have never made the recipe before and have no idea how many it will make. Then off to the computer to print off holiday pictures the kids can color or other craft items. I am expecting 16 plus kids for this party and then my family's celebration later in the evening. I am trying so hard to give my kids a "normal" childhood. I so very much want them to experience everything all other kids get to do. I just know they won't stand in line for a Santa pix at the mall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'd better get moving. I still have rooms to clean, a painter to call back and confirm that we want his services and make sure he can paint the upstairs prior to Santa party and to get those cookies baked and in the freezer so I don't eat anymore of them!