♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default argh, sitter canceled at the last minute!

ugh, just read an email this morning from our sitter, saying she can't come watch DS this afternoon because "some things have come up" that she "can't get out of." ugh. i had been totally looking forward to getting some rest this afternoon (i'm on Day 4 of a nasty sore throat/cold, DH is out of town still and will be for another week, so i'm pretty exhausted already). i also really needed the time to grocery shop and cook for food for myself for the next few days.

i guess i feel bad too because i don't know what to think..to give her the benefit of the doubt or what. it seems odd to suddenly cancel the day of (email was sent at 3am this morning). of course if she was sick or if there was a family emergency i would be totally understanding but if it was something else (which it seems like it could be, based on the vague explanation email) then that would bother me. we have her as a regular sitter for the same days/hours every week, and she knew my DH was out of town this week and next and that i especially needed the help. argh.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 12-02-2010 at 10:41 AM.

kara97210 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That's awful - I would give her the benefit of the doubt one time, but if it happens more than that find another option. Could she come tomorrow instead? Seems better than waiting a whole other week.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm also a Giver of Benefits of the Doubt. But this sucks. I'd email her back asking when her earliest next availability is. Maybe she'll be able to come the next morning of afternoon - or even a couple hours in the evening.

eta: I also agree with PP that if it happens again with such a vague explanation, I'd be looking for another sitter.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 12-02-2010 at 11:58 AM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx for the replies. and i'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt, i just thought it was odd that she gave such a vague explanation, given how last-minute it was. i did email our sitter right away asking if she could come the next day (today) instead, but i haven't gotten a reply back yet, so i'm assuming she's not available until next week.

however, the good thing is that after two days sans any help i've gotten pretty confident that i can handle DS and everything on my own... so another more day w/o help doesn't seem that bad now. the main thing is for the most part i don't have morning sickness anymore which makes a HUGE difference...seriously, coughing and barely being able to breathe from congestion/sneezing is a very, very welcome change from being otherwise fine but just having morning sickness.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 12-03-2010 at 01:20 PM.