Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Alphabet refrigerator magnets for kids under 3?

DD LOVES to play with the magnets on our fridge (including putting them in her mouth), but I'm concerned about the safety--small magnets, not kowing where they were made, etc. I'm looking for alphabet letter magnets that I can put on the fridge just for her, but all the set that I can find are not for kids under the age of 3 because of the small magnets. Are there any letter magnets out there that are large enough to be safe for a 13-month-old?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    DD LOVES to play with the magnets on our fridge (including putting them in her mouth), but I'm concerned about the safety--small magnets, not kowing where they were made, etc. I'm looking for alphabet letter magnets that I can put on the fridge just for her, but all the set that I can find are not for kids under the age of 3 because of the small magnets. Are there any letter magnets out there that are large enough to be safe for a 13-month-old?
    The leapfrog fridge phonics sets come with non-exposed magnets. They are very good for that age. I think I saw a post that one of the sets is on sale at Amazon.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridg...1729111&sr=8-1
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

Oh! Good to know. Amazon says not for kids under 3, but from your description it sounds like it might work. Thanks!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We bought DS Fridge Phonics when he was a little about 22 months old. He loved them.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've had the Melissa and Doug Magnetic Alphabet letters since DS was about 19 months old. He loves them. Definitely impossible to swallow.

ETA: I just saw it has the choking hazard warning on Amazon, but for the life of me I don't understand which small parts they are talking about.
    http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-M.../dp/B000IBPD76

One reviewer says they have lead... so probably not a good option for your DD, my DS never puts them in his mouth, though. Ugh, why are these even filed as "green toys"?
    Last edited by edurnemk; 12-07-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added link and info
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    We've had the Melissa and Doug Magnetic Alphabet letters since DS was about 19 months old. He loves them. Definitely impossible to swallow.

ETA: I just saw it has the choking hazard warning on Amazon, but for the life of me I don't understand which small parts they are talking about.
    http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-M.../dp/B000IBPD76

One reviewer says they have lead... so probably not a good option for your DD, my DS never puts them in his mouth, though. Ugh, why are these even filed as "green toys"?

I thought the warning was because of the small magnets glued to the pback (I don't know if this is true for this set, but I've seen it with the plastic letters).

And lead? Ugh. No way. DD puts EVERYTHING in her mouth!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

THe issue with the magnets is if the magnets themselves are visible and therefore removable. The LF magnets are contained inside plastic, so not removable.

If a child ingests a magnet, they can require surgery to remove it.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Okay, now I am really at Amazon. I was waiting until my lunch break to call diapers.com and have them (hopefully) pricematch the Amazon price for the Leap Frog set in the first post...and now Amazon has changed their price! It's only been a few hours!!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have the LF fridge phonics. DD1 received them as a gift around age 2. Currently DD1 (11mos) is fascinate with them and the fridge farm. She's constantly putting them in her mouth. They are large and as PP said, the magnet(s) housed within the plastic so no choking hazard...that I can tell.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

leapfrog. DD has been playing with them for over a year now. They both love them. And it's great for word sound learning and the abc song!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast