Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How to Gate Stairs ...

I know you're not supposed to use pressure gates on stairs, so I'm not considering that.

However, my stairs are weird.

One side of the stairway on our "living space" level is a support-pillar and the other side is a metal banister-kind of thing built into the wall.

How the heck do I gate something like that?

If a photo will help, please let me know. I can post one tomorrow.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Hmmm I think a photo would be really helpful. That does sound hard to gate!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Picture for sure!

You may need to get creative, but usually there is a way to do it. I think the picture would really help.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There are adaptors for metal banisters.

We avoided the entire problem (and having to hardaware mount) by blocking off the hallway at the top of the stairs instead. In our house, when you come up the stairs, you reach a T intersection...you are staring at awall and can go left or right. Turn right, and about 6 inches down the hall, we used a pressure gate to close off that area. DD can't get to the stairs. Would that work in your house?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

We built in from our wall and the newel post. You can attach the "build in" in many different ways, and then just attach the gate to the wood of the "build in".
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think this from Kidco might work: http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erube_....gateDetails=1

We Kidco gates -- we used one before we had kids to keep our dog in the kitchen/family room area. We got a second for the top of the stairs. This is the model we used: http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erube_...20&kidco.bc=gc
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    There are adaptors for metal banisters.

We avoided the entire problem (and having to hardaware mount) by blocking off the hallway at the top of the stairs instead. In our house, when you come up the stairs, you reach a T intersection...you are staring at awall and can go left or right. Turn right, and about 6 inches down the hall, we used a pressure gate to close off that area. DD can't get to the stairs. Would that work in your house?
    Maybe, but I have 2 sets of stairs to consider, both of which have this weirdness. The main living area could be pressure-gated, but the 3rd floor can't.

I'll post a photo ASAP.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

DH rigged a 2x4 for our Kidco Safeway gate around the post and it was ROCK solid. I think you would just have to rig 2 pieces (one on each end). His 2x4 is just like the Kidco gate installation kit here but more solid (IMHO):

This is what DH did:

bubbaray: the first Kidco gate you linked to is the pressure-mounted Gateway, so it's not safe for at the top of the stairs.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Weird, I didn't even look at the pressure gates. I am trying to link the Y spindle accessory:

http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erube_....gateDetails=1

ETA: Weird, its STILL doing it. I copy the addy for the Y spindle, but here it links to that pressure gate. Dunno.

Anywhoodle, I'm trying to link to the spindle accessory for the Kidco Safeway gate.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

That is weird. The same link takes me back to the Gateway.

Here's a photo of the Y Spindle accessory:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast