Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vitamin B6 and unisom for morning sickness?

Has anyone tried this with success? The CNM at my OB's office told me to try it for my all day nausea (but no vomiting). It was pretty bad my last pg too, so I'm trying to find something to help this time. She suggested 1/2 tablet of unisom at night and the b6 3 times a day (25mg). The only other thing I've had luck with is to eat all day. Not meals, but tiny mini-snacks all day long. I really can't and don't want to eat all day though! I have no problem eating a meal, just feel sick every other hour of the day!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The B6 did nothing for me. I tried the unisom for nighttime and did zofran during the daytime, b/c the unisom made me tired.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It did help me. The key was to take it consistently every day and not skip. It takes a few days for the levels to billed up in your system and then you need to maintain it so you don't want to stop taking it when the morning sickness goes away. I did the unisom a.m. and p.m. and while I was tired at first after a few days I built up a sort of tolerance to it.

I also found that heartburn meds helped too. A lot of my nausea was reflux related and so a daily dose of prilosec or other OTC hb med helped too.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

took the edge off for me for a while but I wasnt able to eat at all - I ended up being dx w/hyperemesis and going on iv therapy and meds until week 24 of my pg then I went back on the unisom/b6 combo for the rest.

Its definitely worth a try - just try it on a day when you can sleep for a while, it def made me sleepy in the b egining but then I adjusted.

YES! I did it and it worked. The unisom, not the B6. I took more than she is suggesting (like up to 3 a day) and I agree that it builds up over time. Also, it did not make me more sleepy than I already was. Actually, my worst fatigue came during the second trimester, after I had mostly stopped the unisom.

Unisom is the only thing that worked for me. It did not take it away completely but made me functional!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You can read more about diclectin here: http://diclectin.com/

It is unisom + B6.

HTH
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I am right there with you. I have all-day nausea and it can really be a drag. Anyway, I have been doing half of a unisom in the evenings before bed because I am really sensitive to any medications that can make you drowsy. I think it has been helping but I have yet to add the B6. I am not eating meals but small snacks alot of the day too.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

It worked for me as well (not sure on dosage, it's been a while). Also, sour jelly belly candy worked well for the nausea I would feel while driving to and from work. (Only time I ever got carsick while driving!) I ate throughout the day as well. Keeping food in my stomach was key.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I tried it and it did not work for me. I had pretty bad nausea (with lots of vomiting) though. Also the unisom knocked me out to the point where the next morning I could barely move and function. Not so fun with a 3 and 5 year old to take care of!
    I eventually went to zofran which was a godsend. But I think you should certainly try the unisom/b6 combo and see if it works for you. I even went to a half a unisom at about 7 p.m. and it still was too much for me in the morning.
    Good luck! It's no fun!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I clicked on this by accident, but I have an idea to offer. Go to your pharmacy and ask for the B-Natal drops or suckers. They are over the counter but behind the pharmacy counter but contain a lot of Vitamin B to hep w/ morning sickness (or all day sickness, lol) and they taste great. You don't have to have an Rx, or even your doc to call it in. If they don't have them they should be able to get them within a day or two. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast