Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Okay, I'm bookmarking this thread for any possible needs I should have in the future (not near future though! LOL!)

How much B6 do your docs say to take? Is it a total of 25mg. per day, or 25mg. 3x a day (for a total of 75mg. daily) ?

Thanks!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyH View Post
    I clicked on this by accident, but I have an idea to offer. Go to your pharmacy and ask for the B-Natal drops or suckers. They are over the counter but behind the pharmacy counter but contain a lot of Vitamin B to hep w/ morning sickness (or all day sickness, lol) and they taste great. You don't have to have an Rx, or even your doc to call it in. If they don't have them they should be able to get them within a day or two. Good Luck!

I ordered mine online because my pharmacy didn't have them. I threw up 4-5 times a day before them and was nauseous the rest of the time. These really cut that down along with making sure there was always something in my stomach. I would much rather snack frequently than puke! I'll be getting these again if we decide to have #2.

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    Okay, I'm bookmarking this thread for any possible needs I should have in the future (not near future though! LOL!)

How much B6 do your docs say to take? Is it a total of 25mg. per day, or 25mg. 3x a day (for a total of 75mg. daily) ?

Thanks!
    Mine said 25mg 3 times, so total 75. Thanks for all the other info and for sharing your experiences. I'm probably going to start with just the b6 or the b-natal and see if I even need the unisom. I am soo sleepy about an hour after I get up and don't need to feel any more sluggish with 2 toddlers! Hopefully it works!

I did the zofran, b6 and unisom. Walmart had the b6 in a small enough dosage that we could cut one pill in half, but that was difficult to find. Even with all three, I had nausea all day, every day for about 5 months. I also had to eat all day long and ended up gaining 55lb due to the extra eating and no exercise. The unisom did not make me groggy though. I had some insomnia with pregnancy so that just helped me sleep more normally.

That's the only reason I haven't tried for a second yet - not sure how I'd handle that sort of sickness now that I have one child.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfowife View Post
    I tried it and it did not work for me. I had pretty bad nausea (with lots of vomiting) though. Also the unisom knocked me out to the point where the next morning I could barely move and function. Not so fun with a 3 and 5 year old to take care of!
    I eventually went to zofran which was a godsend. But I think you should certainly try the unisom/b6 combo and see if it works for you. I even went to a half a unisom at about 7 p.m. and it still was too much for me in the morning.
    Good luck! It's no fun!
    Yeah, that was my exp with unisom during the daytime. I couldn't afford to be on it while taking care of other children. The zofran helped a lot for my hyperemesis, but omg, the constipation issue are awful. Just a forewarning to anyone who goes on zofran, please make sure you are on other supplements to help with the side effect of the zofran. www.helpher.org is a great site for those suffering from severe m/s and hyperemesis related to pregnancy.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I worked for me with DS1.

The dosage amount I was told to take was a 1/2 tablet of Unisom and 50mg of B6 every night before bed. I never experienced any drowsiness and it would completely eliminate my m/s the entire next day. If I forgot to take it I'd be throwing up in the shower after I woke up and would sick the rest of the day!

With DS2 my m/s was worse and the Unisom/B6 combo took the edge off (I couldn't function at all or get off the couch without it) but it didn't eliminate it like it did with DS1. Drinking dandelion root tea daily (midwife's suggestion) finally got rid of my m/s at the 26 week mark.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

kam is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

For those of you who are interested, here's the writeup of a recent study about this treatment. It's apparently been subjected to randomized testing and works quite well for many women! The article appeared in the New England Journal of Medicine in October.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcp1003896

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2