TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Baby stopped liking Moby?? Other carrier needed?

Hi everyone!

I've been using a Moby wrap for my DD since she was about 1 week old until now. She is 9 weeks now, and suddenly she seems to dislike the Moby - the couple of times I've tried it this week, she just fusses constantly. I used to use it around the house while I was cooking or doing laundry, etc., for walks, and to run errands like going to the grocery store. I'm hoping this is a phase because I love the Moby - anyone else have this problem before? I'm still using the newborn hug hold since her head control is not very good - is there a different hold I should try? If this isn't a phase, what other carriers should I look into - I'm intrigued by the Mei Tai, but I haven't researched any others. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you seen the new Beco Gemini? People give it rave reviews. I started using a mei tai around 2 months old and DS really loved it. We just did legs froggied in until he got to about 4 months where he could hold them out.

I'm not too sure of different holds with wraps since I didn't use one with DS but I'm planning to for this next baby. I think they might have some info on the Moby website or youtube though. Good luck!
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

Since I never "got" the wrap on the Moby (mommy brain), I LOVED my Bjorn at that age. I know, I know, not many people like it. I did. Loved it, used it till DD didn't fit anymore!

I also had a Mei Tai, Babyhawk that she loved. Would sleep for hours in it! I just preferred the Bjorn for ease of use.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

FWIW, the Beco Gemini is a close cousin to a Mei Tai, so if you're looking at mei tais already, it's not much different. (Probably closest to the BabyHawk Oh Snap!, but I haven't used a BH.)

The fussiness may be a sign of another issue and not be carrier-related. We've been using our wrap carrier since my DD was a few weeks old and haven't had fussiness except when trying to use it while she was hungry or tired.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At that age, I would just do the regular hug hold: http://www.mobywrap.com/instructionp...nstructionshug

My son liked being upright after the first few weeks. A couple of questions: is it tight enough? Are her knees nice and bent instead of dangling?

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    At that age, I would just do the regular hug hold: http://www.mobywrap.com/instructionp...nstructionshug

My son liked being upright after the first few weeks. A couple of questions: is it tight enough? Are her knees nice and bent instead of dangling?
    Hmmm... I've been trying the hug hold too, but now I'm wondering if her legs were dangling instead of bent properly. I think part of the problem is that I have a Moby-D, so I always try to use it folded in half, but I think if I go back to unfolded, it might help me get better coverage for legs/knees. I know I should be able to with it folded as well, but I feel like I've been struggling to get good coverage as she's gotten bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    FWIW, the Beco Gemini is a close cousin to a Mei Tai, so if you're looking at mei tais already, it's not much different. (Probably closest to the BabyHawk Oh Snap!, but I haven't used a BH.)

The fussiness may be a sign of another issue and not be carrier-related. We've been using our wrap carrier since my DD was a few weeks old and haven't had fussiness except when trying to use it while she was hungry or tired.
    I don't think the fussiness is related to anything else, because she fusses immediately when I put her in the Moby, and then calms down when out of it (ie, I'll put her in her bouncy chair or carry her instead). That being said, she's been napping really poorly this week, so maybe that is compounding the issue.

Thanks all for the recommendations of the Beco Gemini - question though - how old to start using that (or a Babyhawk Mei Tai)? I looked at a Gemini yesterday at the store, and it seems sort of big for my daughter, like she would swim in it at this age (11 weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    Thanks all for the recommendations of the Beco Gemini - question though - how old to start using that (or a Babyhawk Mei Tai)? I looked at a Gemini yesterday at the store, and it seems sort of big for my daughter, like she would swim in it at this age (11 weeks).
    I have the butterfly (with infant insert), but I'm sure that you can start using the gemini now. It's just 14" tall if you put the headrest down (instead of 16" like many other carriers), and you can fold in the bottom part to make it narrow enough between her legs.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11