Default Greener ice melt/salt? Any leads?

Last year I posted this question, and for the most part came up empty. There are product marketed as being "green" but none of them seem to be. There has to be something that's better for my lawn/garden. Any ideas?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I saw an ad for a local plow guy who promoted a "green" driveway ice melt.

Here's what I found. Ice Clear De-Icer. I don't know if this is what he uses but it sounds promising. Our driveway faces north and is in the shade and icy all winter long. Makes me crazy.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/ice-clear.html

And here's a little something about it from Good Morning America (haven't read whole article):

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/JustOneThi...kw=&tqshow=GMA
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Up here they don't use as much salt as they do further south because salt only works above a minimum temperature and we're below that for a good portion of the winter. So, we have sidewalk plows and trucks that are equipped to spread sand and small rocks to make the ice less slippery. Not quite what you were asking, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

We use salt to melt icy areas. Also, if we pre-treat our sidewalks with salt, they stay clear during light snows.

Two Boos, I'll check out the link, thanks!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!