Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Oh my, I just had a heart attack - our family is doing Christmas on the 23rd and I am in charge of my MIL gift which is a kindle and I was waiting to order even though my SIL told me to order it last week! I just ordered and it said it woudl be here the 17th - I hope I don't get an email saying the 24th!

Has anyone found a good bargain halfway decent cover - Ebay?

OT help request: I am going to load books for her before I give it her (another reason I hope I get it this weekend) - does anyone know if I have to put it on my account to do this? I don't think she has an amazon account (or has ever bought anything online) so maybe I should just set up an account in her name?

mjmamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mnosky1 View Post
    Oh my, I just had a heart attack - our family is doing Christmas on the 23rd and I am in charge of my MIL gift which is a kindle and I was waiting to order even though my SIL told me to order it last week! I just ordered and it said it woudl be here the 17th - I hope I don't get an email saying the 24th!

Has anyone found a good bargain halfway decent cover - Ebay?

OT help request: I am going to load books for her before I give it her (another reason I hope I get it this weekend) - does anyone know if I have to put it on my account to do this? I don't think she has an amazon account (or has ever bought anything online) so maybe I should just set up an account in her name?
    You could buy her an Amazon gift card and it would be electronically sent to her email address. She'd be able to use that for Kindle books. The Kindle unit has a list of NYT Bestsellers and Kindle bestsellers she could browse through. I received mine as a gift and it's such a fun, wonderful gift that I use year after year!
    SAHM Mamma to 4

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire View Post

The nook is tied to the Barnes and Noble store if you buy with wireless on the ereader but you can get files from numerous sites. The Sony is tied to the Reader store in the same way but again, you can get files from a lot of places. The Sonys are touch screen and have a reputation for being a little more sturdy, but they are more expensive and the smaller models don't have wireless. The Daily Reader does. These all use eInk (which looks like the pages of a book). The nook has the touch screen strip at the bottom and an eInk screen. The nook Color is really a smaller iPad that runs on Android and is slightly hobbled but a lot cheaper. It has an LCD and a shorter battery life (hours instead of days).

I, myself, have been going back and forth between the nook and the Sony readers for a while now.
    So, is the Nook more like a tablet PC? Can you surf the web etc?

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just putting in a plug for the regular Nook! You can download library books with it, unlike the Kindle. I looooove mine! The Nook Color is kind of a cross between an Android tablet and an ereader. I thought it looked cool, but it is definitely more limited than an android tablet. I also prefer the e-ink display to the backlit screen of the color nook.
    Last edited by inmypjs; 01-10-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim. View Post
    So, is the Nook more like a tablet PC? Can you surf the web etc?
    The nook Color, not the regular nook. However it does have some limitations because it is primarily an ereader. You can go to Barnes and Noble or Best Buy to check it out.

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'll check them out... I'm curious if you can browse message boards like this one with the Nook Color.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2