Default Fun Toddler Activities in Los Angeles area

Exactly how the title sounds! Any ideas? We are hopefully going in a month and I want to start planning the itinerary and writing lists- Any help with that too? I have a 22 mo and a 2.5 mo and will be flying (5.5 hours) and then renting a car once we are there.

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We went there on vacation with a 16 month old and had a great time. If there's ever a time where you or DH want to sit out and stay with the baby, you can rent a bike with a trailer for the toddler and bike down the Santa Monica boardwalk. It's so beautiful. Then visit the Santa Monica pier, and depending on what's opened that day, you can do a carousel, various rides and the aquarium. Then you can take a short walk to third street promenade! That's how we spent one day.

Another day, we spent at Griffith Park. There are pony rides, train rides, LA zoo (nothing like San Diego, but still very nice), light hiking trails and a really great playground.

We also really liked The Grove. We let DS roam free and explore (of course we were right behind him!). There are cute demonstrations and vendors. And they have a trolley that he loved. And they have one of those musical fountains. Then you can take a walk to the farmer's market next door.

That's all we had time to do, but if you're up for the trip and the cost, you can always do Disney, Legoland, Long Beach Aquarium and/or San Diego zoo.

Hope this helps! Hope some local mamas will chime in!

ETA: Here's a link to a thread I started before my trip with some helpful information! http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=345863
    Last edited by Nechums; 12-14-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

lovebebes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Grove all the way!

My DDs practically grew up there, and we go a few times a week (its a 5 minute walk for us).

It is especially amazing right now, all lit up with tiny lights on every tree, a huge flying Santa sleigh in the sky and snow-yes snow!-that falls at 8pm every night!

Go during the week if you want to avoid crowds, although it probably wont be so bad post holidays.
    DD S 2002
    DD L born sleeping 04.2006
    DD L 2007
    Finally our littlest rainbow is here!
    DD C 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Nechums View Post
    We went there on vacation with a 16 month old and had a great time. If there's ever a time where you or DH want to sit out and stay with the baby, you can rent a bike with a trailer for the toddler and bike down the Santa Monica boardwalk. It's so beautiful. Then visit the Santa Monica pier, and depending on what's opened that day, you can do a carousel, various rides and the aquarium. Then you can take a short walk to third street promenade! That's how we spent one day.

Another day, we spent at Griffith Park. There are pony rides, train rides, LA zoo (nothing like San Diego, but still very nice), light hiking trails and a really great playground.

We also really liked The Grove. We let DS roam free and explore (of course we were right behind him!). There are cute demonstrations and vendors. And they have a trolley that he loved. And they have one of those musical fountains. Then you can take a walk to the farmer's market next door.

That's all we had time to do, but if you're up for the trip and the cost, you can always do Disney, Legoland, Long Beach Aquarium and/or San Diego zoo.

Hope this helps! Hope some local mamas will chime in!

ETA: Here's a link to a thread I started before my trip with some helpful information! http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=345863
    I've actually been in LA before many times, so most of what you said were activities I did for myself I wasn't thinking in terms of my son liking it, though. I definitely planned on Griffith Park, the Boardwalk/Beach and Disney, so thanks for confirming them. He'll probably like the grove to an extent, with the train and all, but it is not a whole day activity really... Especially bec. I hate shopping!
    And let me add- I also have a pretty newborn, she'll be 2.5 months at the time, so biking (though I love it) is out of the question...

Quote Originally Posted by lovebebes View Post
    Grove all the way!

My DDs practically grew up there, and we go a few times a week (its a 5 minute walk for us).

It is especially amazing right now, all lit up with tiny lights on every tree, a huge flying Santa sleigh in the sky and snow-yes snow!-that falls at 8pm every night!

Go during the week if you want to avoid crowds, although it probably wont be so bad post holidays.
    We'll for sure have a stop by at the Grove, but any other ideas, please?
    Thanks!

Can any mamas help me with a list of what to bring for the plane ride?

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you want a fun children's museum option check out the Kidspace Museum in Pasadena. My boys loved it as toddlers.
    http://www.kidspacemuseum.org/site/P...pagename=index

We also love the California Science Center (it's free), they have a wonderful new exhibit, Ecosystems, that you could easily spend a good part of one day exploring. http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/

the Natural History Museum is right next door to the CSC too.

AS far as the plane goes.... bring NEW little toys along.... at 2.5 my DS loved a new car we bought for him for our trip... all the doors/hood,trunk opened up.... kept him entertained for a bit. Mini pop up playsets http://www.amazon.com/Matchbox-Pop-M.../dp/B003ZVDO3Q
    Color wonder paper/books and pens
    small board books
    Do you have a portable DVD player? Might be worth investing in one for your trip.
    Snacks were the biggest distraction. pretzels, crackers, dry cereal, raisins, fruit leathers.

Oh and The Grove has a Pottery Barn Kids store... my boys loved it when they were little with the display kitchens and puzzles etc. It's too bad they closed the FAO store... my older DS practically grew up there. All the salespeople knew us and knew my DS by name. There is also a large park across the street, Pan Pacific Park. 3 play structures and a lot of grass and walking paths all around. we live a few blocks from the Grove so we are there often. Like someone else mentioned... go during the week to lessen the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    If you want a fun children's museum option check out the Kidspace Museum in Pasadena. My boys loved it as toddlers.
    http://www.kidspacemuseum.org/site/P...pagename=index

We also love the California Science Center (it's free), they have a wonderful new exhibit, Ecosystems, that you could easily spend a good part of one day exploring. http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/

the Natural History Museum is right next door to the CSC too.

AS far as the plane goes.... bring NEW little toys along.... at 2.5 my DS loved a new car we bought for him for our trip... all the doors/hood,trunk opened up.... kept him entertained for a bit. Mini pop up playsets http://www.amazon.com/Matchbox-Pop-M.../dp/B003ZVDO3Q
    Color wonder paper/books and pens
    small board books
    Do you have a portable DVD player? Might be worth investing in one for your trip.
    Snacks were the biggest distraction. pretzels, crackers, dry cereal, raisins, fruit leathers.

Oh and The Grove has a Pottery Barn Kids store... my boys loved it when they were little with the display kitchens and puzzles etc. It's too bad they closed the FAO store... my older DS practically grew up there. All the salespeople knew us and knew my DS by name. There is also a large park across the street, Pan Pacific Park. 3 play structures and a lot of grass and walking paths all around. we live a few blocks from the Grove so we are there often. Like someone else mentioned... go during the week to lessen the crowds.
    Kidspace is definitely in the running, but probably going to skip the rest of the museums, unless we are unlucky enough to have rainy/cold weather...
    Thanks for starting my plane packing list- great help!
    We are only going to be in LA for 8 days, so the Grove will probably end up falling on a weekday anyhow. But, I'll try to plan it that way- thanks!