View Poll Results: Do you purge your DC toys and belongings with them? Or without?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purge their belongings without your DC present.

46 82.14%
  • Purge and declutter belongings with your DC.

5 8.93%
  • Other

5 8.93%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Do you purge toys with or without DC present?

Just wondering if you purge toys with your DC or without.

My DS is so attached to all his toys. I asked him which toys he would be willing to give up he gave me a little Hot Wheels and a small stuffed moose. He wouldn't give up any other toys. I am thinking I may do a big purge myself and then start working with including him in the process so he can learn how the process of decluttering?
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I usually do it without him. I did it with him once and when we dropped the bag off at Goodwill he cried. That was the first and last time he helped me.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post
    I usually do it without him. I did it with him once and when we dropped the bag off at Goodwill he cried. That was the first and last time he helped me.
    Ooo! I should do this with the boys! I bet it'll be the last time they leave their stuff lying around!

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i do it without him, but he wouldn't understand the thought yet, anyway. i hope he'll be able to purge when he's older, and i'll ask him to help then.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

Both--DD helps me get rid of some of her toys, but all those stupid McDonald's toys get tossed when she's not around. She insists that she "loves" them (even though she's never played with it!), and would choose to keep *everything* if she had her choice.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    Both--DD helps me get rid of some of her toys, but all those stupid McDonald's toys get tossed when she's not around. She insists that she "loves" them (even though she's never played with it!), and would choose to keep *everything* if she had her choice.
    Sounds like my ds1.

I have done it both ways. Once he helped me and all was well and good. We donated the items to his g'parents' church nursery. We were there one time and he noticed all of his old toys and tried to take them back.

Beth

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am glad to see the poll results show so many of you all purge without your kids helping. I am going to just purge toys with my DH, for this upcoming big toy purge. Then, I will work on trying to teach him to purge and donate items.

I know it is age appropriate to not want to give up your toys at DS age. But, after watching some of those hoarder shows, I really want to teach him how to let go of his belongings and declutter. Those hoarder shows scare me.

I am chuckling about your DS seeing the toys at the church nursery. My DS friend at daycare freaked out when her mom donated toys, that she never played with, to daycare. She ran around collecting them and putting them all in her cubbie.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Normally, they help me under the idea that it is going into the basement for baby sister to play with some day...not all of it makes it there though... DS1 is getting a little more protective of his stuff though. He is more than willing to offer up the stuff that only DS2 likes though!
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wimama View Post
    I am chuckling about your DS seeing the toys at the church nursery. My DS friend at daycare freaked out when her mom donated toys, that she never played with, to daycare. She ran around collecting them and putting them all in her cubbie.
    Yeah I tried donating a few things to DS2's preschool. Not pretty.
    "Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

All of the above?

It depends on what I'm purging and why. Ideally I purge without them around if I know for a fact that they don't use or play with certain items. However, we do a big purge about 2x a year (one is always in oct/nov before the holidays) and I do enlist their help. But I also like to pare down more once they are out of sight

Oh, and it also depends on their ages at the time. I have different discussions with my 6 yo and my 4 yo. I don't ask my infant what his thoughts are on my purging just yet. When they were toddlers and didn't notice what they had around as much, I purged without them a lot more often.

We often rotate toys, and many things will be rotated out of use if I don't think the kids really need/want the item. If it isn't missed, it rotates into the donation bag sometimes ....
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast