Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default At what age do you move from tricyle to bicyle?

At what age do kids generally move from tricyle to bicyle?
    DD 04/2008
    DS 06/2012

Default 3 or 4

I was hoping to have my 3 year old on a bike with training wheels, but she told me it was too scary. I am hoping that when she is 4 that the trike will be gone.
    DD 11/10

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS2 had just turned 4yo when he gave up the trike for good. I don't remember how old DS1 was - probably 3.5yo because he was so tall (too tall for the trike/big wheel).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I suppose that depends if you are thinking balance bike, bike with training wheels or bike without training wheels?

Dd went to balance bike around 2 1/2 - 3 yo then straight to bike with no training wheels at age 4 1/2.

Ds went to bike with training wheels around age 4 1/2 then balance bike around age 6 then bike with no training wheels around age 6 1/2.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

3...balance bike.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Age 2.5 balance bike. Age 4 bike with pedals only. They still love riding tricycles in the driveway, but bikes down the street.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

At 3 they got a bike with training wheels and a balance bike. By 4, just a bike with pedals only.
    Kris

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 got trike w/ pushbar at 2 (but was 2.5-3 before he could really pedal it around a lot I'd say). Got a balance bike at age 3. Moved to a regular pedal bike at 5 (could have started earlier but he was still happy on the balance bike and I was hoping to move right to a bigger bike.).

DD was riding the handmedown balance bike between 2.5 and 3. By 3.5 she was riding a pedal bike without training wheels. She rode the trike before she turned 2 but didn't pedal much until more like 2.5-3.

in our case there was a lot of overlap. When they first started the balance bike they were still enjoying pedaling the trike some.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Default which bike w/ training wheels

which bike with training wheels would you recommend and what is a good price for one?

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think it depends on the size of the child. DS got a trike at 1.5 years old, balance bike at 4 years old, and regular bike without training wheels at 6 years old. DS is on the small side (25th percentile).

DS "gave up" the trike for good when he could not ride it comfortably anymore, and the same thing with the balance bike and the 12" bike (he rides a 16" bike now). So when he would ride the balance bike most of the time, but occasionally he jumped on the trike.

A friend's son who is very tall (90th percentile) rides a 16" bike at the age of 5, but he is almost as tall as DS (who is 7 years old). DS could not reach the pedals of 16" bike comfortably at 5 years of age.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast