Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 started riding a bike around 3. Balance bike at first but he did not like it so we then got a 16 inch Specialized Hotrock with training wheels about 2-3 months ago (he is all legs so he needed the 16 inch one). He just turned four. He loves his bike! It was about $150 but such great quality. Super light to push and perfect for him to pedal.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...47707&eid=4360
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I highly suggest a balance bike as a transition between a trike and a regular bike. ODS started riding a trike at 18 months, a balance bike at 2, and a pedal bike without training wheels at 3.5 years old. He totally skipped training wheels because the balance bike gave him the confidence to ride a regular bike without any hesitation the very first time he tried it.

DS1 started riding a balance bike at around 2.75 and went straight to a pedal bike without training wheels at 3.5.

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow, I feel so behind, lol. I haven't gotten DS a bike since out yard is so uneven and even though this is residential, people drive like bats on this road. I can't wait until we move to FL, its at least flat there! Hopefully we can get him one in the spring or summer.....

Thanks everyone for the answers, and thanks alot OP for posting this question.
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by vdrake71 View Post
    I was hoping to have my 3 year old on a bike with training wheels, but she told me it was too scary. I am hoping that when she is 4 that the trike will be gone.
    My 3 year old can not reach the wheels on the bike his grandpa gave him yet.
    Last edited by vonfirmath; 12-17-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hmmm - anybody here tried just having the bike shop take off the pedals on a little bike and skipping the balance bike? Seems like it could work......

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    Hmmm - anybody here tried just having the bike shop take off the pedals on a little bike and skipping the balance bike? Seems like it could work......
    1. Taking the pedals off is not quite that easy unless the bike was designed to be used in both methods.
    2. You need a different size of balance bike vs pedal bike.

You want the balance bike to be sized such that your kid can use it to "run with" -- feet nearly flat on the ground, etc.

You want a pedal bike sized a bit higher, where they will NOT be always dragging their feet on the ground. Able to put a foot down, sure. But mostly keeping feet OFF the ground.

3. Balance bikes are VERY light so little kids can handle them better.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS will be 4 in June. We plan on getting him a bike with training wheels in the Spring, sadly it will probably be before his birthday because his trike is way too small already and I know he'll want a bike for the spring. He has practiced on his friend's bike with training wheels and has no problem riding it.

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Around 2 we gave DS1 a balance bike, he rode that or a trike (neither was ridden much) until he turned 3. At 3 we got him a 16 inch bike with training wheels. Before he turned 4 we borrowed my brother's old bike (14 inch) and took the training wheels off.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    In addition to what vonfirmath wrote, balance bikes are also lighter than traditional pedal bikes. Our balance bike is only about 8 lbs (Hotwalk). I believe the Strider is even less at 6lbs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2