LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default High Back Booster that has LATCH and has a low seat?

I've searched and there are threads about seats in a Volvo XC90 and threads about boosters but I can't seem to find my answer.

Currently DD1 is in a Graco Nautilus. I love that it's LATCH. I had no issue in my 4Runner but we just bought a Volvo XC90 today and the problem is that the seat is so big and it sits so high that it is SO difficult to get the seatbelt into the slot. There is no way DD could do it and even I have to hover over her and work really hard to get it locked in.

I want a high back booster that sits lower, like the Graco Turbo Booster, but also LATCHes and doesn't cost $280 like a Clek Ollie (although I'd love one).

It just needs to fit better in my Volvo...and to make me more stressed, I've read that people have issues with HBB and the Volvo headrest! What should I do?
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

Parkway SGL? (here's a photo review... http://carseatblog.com/8193/britax-p...-photo-review/) And how do your headrests look? I know in the older Volvo's the problem was they really, really stuck forward... is it pushing your Nautilus forward or does it seem more flat and fitting to the carseat's headrest (I'm not sure how to word that sanely, I just thought I saw a Volvo with flatter headrests last time I saw one parked in the mall, lol). If they are flatter, then you shouldn't really have problems fitting anything there.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I sound repetitive, but PM Quassee on car-seat.org. She has an XC90 and a TON of seats to play with. She has 4 kids and uses both the 2nd and 3rd rows of the vehicle, so she can tell you about different configurations.

HTH
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Parkway SGL? (here's a photo review... http://carseatblog.com/8193/britax-p...-photo-review/) And how do your headrests look? I know in the older Volvo's the problem was they really, really stuck forward... is it pushing your Nautilus forward or does it seem more flat and fitting to the carseat's headrest (I'm not sure how to word that sanely, I just thought I saw a Volvo with flatter headrests last time I saw one parked in the mall, lol). If they are flatter, then you shouldn't really have problems fitting anything there.
    I saw the threads about the 05-06 XC90's with the headrest issue, which got me all freaked out. The headrests do come forward a little bit but I honestly don't notice it pushing the carseat forward or anything. There is a little gap between the headrest and then the body of the seat but the top of the carseat touches the top of the headrest and then the body touches the body of the seat...does that make sense?

Thanks bubbaray, I'll PM her now. I saw you suggest that in an other thread but I didn't want to take the liberty and just PM her myself, you know?
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I sound repetitive, but PM Quassee on car-seat.org. She has an XC90 and a TON of seats to play with. She has 4 kids and uses both the 2nd and 3rd rows of the vehicle, so she can tell you about different configurations.

HTH
    Ok, I have to wait a couple of days until they approve my account. Thanks though!
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

Is this for a 5 year old? Is there a reason you're using the Nautilus in booster mode versus harnessed? If you're really needing a good fit for a booster in the XC90, the best fit so far seems to be the Monterey. I do have an Oobr as well (the $300 Clek highback) and I prefer the Monterey for younger kids in both my XC90 and my Odyssey. The Olli and Ozzi are good fits as well, but because they're LBB I wouldn't recommend them under age 8.

I haven't had a problem with the headrest position and the Monterey..

And, oddly, if you have the 7 passenger version of the XC90 I can recommend the centre booster seat as a great p/t alternative. My daughter will be 6 in the Spring and she only just started using it on short trips, but it works well for my 7.5 year old son on a full-time basis. I could see a child transitioning from the Nautilus harness and moving into that built-in on a full-time basis at about age 6-7.

One thing you may notice is that the retractors in the XC90 are strong. I've driven a lot of cars, and the XC90 retractors feel different from anything else I've driven. It can sometimes make it difficult for kids to buckle, even when well positioned, because the belt pulls towards the retractor with a little bit more force. It takes some getting used to for kids.

-N.

Quote Originally Posted by LexyLou View Post
    Ok, I have to wait a couple of days until they approve my account. Thanks though!

Glad to see you here, Quassee
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hi Quassee! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to your crew!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by QuassEE View Post
    Is this for a 5 year old? Is there a reason you're using the Nautilus in booster mode versus harnessed? If you're really needing a good fit for a booster in the XC90, the best fit so far seems to be the Monterey. I do have an Oobr as well (the $300 Clek highback) and I prefer the Monterey for younger kids in both my XC90 and my Odyssey. The Olli and Ozzi are good fits as well, but because they're LBB I wouldn't recommend them under age 8.

I haven't had a problem with the headrest position and the Monterey..

And, oddly, if you have the 7 passenger version of the XC90 I can recommend the centre booster seat as a great p/t alternative. My daughter will be 6 in the Spring and she only just started using it on short trips, but it works well for my 7.5 year old son on a full-time basis. I could see a child transitioning from the Nautilus harness and moving into that built-in on a full-time basis at about age 6-7.

One thing you may notice is that the retractors in the XC90 are strong. I've driven a lot of cars, and the XC90 retractors feel different from anything else I've driven. It can sometimes make it difficult for kids to buckle, even when well positioned, because the belt pulls towards the retractor with a little bit more force. It takes some getting used to for kids.

-N.
    Thank you so so much! She's just started using the nautilus in booster mode after some training. She's a big girl 95% for height, 85% for weight and is a major rule follower so she sits in it really well. We wound up switching because on a couple of field trips she sat in a HB Graco Turbo Booster and then just started begging and I felt the Nautlius was safer than the GTB and everything I read says as long as she sits properly it's safe, is that true?

Also, the XC90 backseat while wider is still closer to the front row than my 4Runner was and the Nautilus is such a beast the kids are eating the front seats!

Thank's for the Monterey recommendation. I'm ordering it. I think the issue with the seatbelts is what you are talking about plus the Nautilus is SO bulky that I can't even really reach around and down to get it to the buckle without a lot of effort, hopefully the Monterey will be better.

Oh and good to hear about the integrated booster being ok. I've said no way to that but it's good to know in a pinch she can use it.

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone!
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07