♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Unhappy so annoyed...DS's xmas present is defective!

ugh, i am just so mad and frustrated right now. DH & I just spent over an hour assembling the Fisher Price Learning Home, as we wanted DS to be able to play with it on Christmas morning. Well, after all the time & effort in putting it together, one of the parts on the house (the ON/OFF light switch) doesn't work at all!! We went back and unassembled/reassembled some parts to try to "debug" it (we're both engineers, figured we had a shot), but it's no use, it still doesn't work. Argh.

Anyway, my son is not even a year old, i KNOW he won't notice or care at this point, but i'm just pissed. This is is his first Christmas, and his first "big" Christmas present and we were so excited to give it to him, we took so much time in putting the freaking thing together and it turns out it's defective, which really puts a damper on the mood. DH is pissed too.

And, i'm annoyed that i really have no recourse about this. This was an Christmas present from DH's parents, and was shipped to us, so we don't even have a receipt. And even if we did, neither of us feel like disassembling the whole thing and cramming it back into box, schlepping it to the post office and figuring out postage and whatnot just to ship it back, and waiting who knows how many weeks/months before they send a new one, and then have to re-assemble that one and hope that it works fine. So i think for now, we will just have to live with it being partially broken. Argh. I know this is petty in the grand scheme of things, but just had to vent.

We had the same problem last year. I was all ready to exchange it when I read of others having the same problem. It ended up being an issue with the batteries. I put in brand new ones and the light started working. We haven't had a problem with it since.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I feel your pain. I got my 5 month old My Pal Scout from Amazon and it's defective. He won't aqttach to the computer to be personalized. DH keeps telling me DS won't even know, but it just annoys me so much. I was looking so forward to watching him play with it. On top of that Amazon says they are out of stock so they will only offer me a refund, I got a great deal on it and now I'm going to have to pay more for another one. So I know how you're feeling. Sorry your FP House is defective.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

How frustrating!!! We had a basketball goal from LT which didn't have ANY holes drilled for the net!! Fortunately, we found it last week and were able to exchange it. I'm sure there will be other things as well under our tree...

I'd try the batteries like the PP mentioned. Do the other electrical parts work? weird. FP customer service was good to us (sent us a new one) when DD's loving family car doors broke off. Now we have what's normal in America - two families with matching minivans! Maybe you'll have two houses!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

FP customer service is awesome. Call them on Monday - I'm certain that they will take care of you.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

aw thanx everyone for the replies! am here just waiting for my little one to wake up...

the other electric parts on the home seem to work just fine. what's strange is that the light does light up when we hit the doorbell and everything..just that the switch doesn't work at all (it is supposed to turn light on when switched to "ON", play a tune in music mode and say "on" or "off" in learning mode).

anyway, i would try to switch the batteries out but we dont' have any spare ones at the moment (d'oh!)...will definitely try it tho next time stores are open. and will definitely try calling CS and seeing if they can help. great suggestions. in the meantime, i just hope my DS is excited about getting the new toy and won't notice anything.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Buy a new one, then return the defective one to the store with your receipt and box. Problem solved.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

onyx8 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Call up FP - they replaced a part on my defective infant swing, no questions asked.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Our first learning home died after 6 months of use (6 years ago). We had to send in the green base and they shipped us a new one.

I hope it's the batteries!
    Kris

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would call FP Customer Service. They have always been good to me.

And I have a FP Learning Home that I got off of CL a while back as my 10 month old's BIG present. It has been sitting in my closet since then, waiting for the big day.

DH and I got out all of the presents, making them look all special in their presentation, and put together my daughter's radio flyer wagon - her big gift. And we completely FORGOT the FP learning home!!!! Oh well. It's still sitting in my closet. I guess it will now become the big first birthday present.