cntrymoon2 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How do you get your baby to adjust to a new carrier?

I've done limited babywearing with my DD, first in a Moby (not her fav, but tolerated until about 4 months) then in a Bjorn (which she will still tolerate, but she's almost outgrown). Santa brought me a Beco Gemini for Christmas, and no matter how many times I try DD in it, she screams bloody murder. How do you get her used to it when she won't even tolerate it for 2 minutes?

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Start with a well rested, fed, happy baby. Practice with a doll or stuffed animal, so that you know how to put on the carrier quickly and correctly. Then load your baby and go for a walk...I know my DS never tolerates standing still, unless he is already asleep!

Default baby adjusting in carrier

I have a Baby K'tan and sometimes my daughter is fussy when i put her in it but i found that if i give it a few minutes and get her settled and walk around she calms down (and usually falls asleep)> they can feel you tense up when they scream so best to relax as much as possible even if baby is fussing, make sure they are fed and changed (otherwise their fussing is warranted), and then give them a few minutes in the carrier before you determine if they really dont like it. hope this helps.

Mine screamed at first but if I started walking and gave her a few minutes she would calm down.

Catherine

DS did not like the Gemini either until a month ago at 5 months. I had been trying it on him at home. Then one day I took it with me outside and put him in it, and he was OK with it. I've been using it almost every day since then and he loves it, outside and at home.
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agreed with the PPs that you need to make sure the baby is rested and fed. Watch demo videos, read manuals, practice with a doll or toy so you are quite comfortable getting it on and off and positioning baby. If the weather permits (say, if you live near where I do!), get your shoes on and take her out on a walk soon after getting her into the carrier. Or walk around indoors. This was pretty much the only way to keep my DD happy in the carrier to start with. Don't judge a carrier or write it off based on her first or second reaction to it. It always takes a few times before you get the hang of getting it on and wearing it, and she gets the hang of being in it.

I would always try her first at home and I was always very enthusiastic about the carriers.

I quickly learned that DD hates being hot and hates being confined, so I limited the carrier use to air conditioned spaces and cool days and I found an SSC that allowed to sort of get her face away from my chest.

Funnily, these were personality traits of hers that people poo pooed me about when she was only a few months old, but somehow I *knew* that was *her* and sure enough, it is very evident in her personality now!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

cntrymoon2 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Kids are funny. After a 6 months of minimal success with the Beco Gemini, with DD only tolerating it in short spurts (15 minutes or less), I had almost given up and relegated it to a pile of "hopefully I'll have another child someday to get my money's worth" stuff.
    I pulled it out this morning to lend to a friend for Disney this afternoon and my DD had a fit until I put her in it, and then proceeded to insist that I carry her on my back for the entire morning. She cried when I took her out for nap time.
    I don't even know if she's going to allow my friend's baby to use it at the theme park today.
    I guess she just needed a 6 month learning curve!