Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How long does your 2yo sleep?

In a 24-hour period? Total? Ferber says the range is 11-12 hours for this age. We've always found that our girls fall within the ranges that are listed in his book (and NOT the ranges in the Baby 411/Toddler 411 books, which seem inflated).

But - why does it seem like all my friends have toddlers who need more sleep than ours? Maybe this belongs in the BP!

That means that since ours nap 2 hours at daycare, then they only sleep 9-9.5 hours at night (putting us right at 11-11.5 hours total, which is in the normal range). Which means putting them to bed at 9, and wake at 6-6:30. 9pm seems SO late for bedtime. But we've had an earlier bedtime (8:30) and nearly every night we deal about 30 minutes worth of wakings. So now we're trying a 9pm bedtime in hopes of consolidating their nighttime sleep into one "chunk" so we can all sleep through the night.

Maybe I would just feel better knowing there are others out there whose toddlers require "only" 11 hours of sleep (even if that's supposedly normal).

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, my DS i was one of those horrible sleepers being discussed in another thread, he never took a nap longer than 45 minutes until he was at least 15 months old and woke up every 2 or 3 hours at night. We are still nursing (he's 22 months) but I night weaned him at 18-19 months (DH went into him when he woke up at night) and since then he sleep alot more. He goes to bed between 7 & 8 pm and usually gets up around 8:30 am. He naps for at least 2.5 hours in the afternoon. He often plays in his crib for a while if he wakes up in the night, sometimes for over an hour! So he is in his crib for ~15 to 16 hours! But honestly, he slept so little as a baby, I think he is catching up! He didn't sleep anywhere near what the books said up until he was 19 months old!

DD typically sleeps 11-12 hours/night, and, if I really work at it, will take a 2 hr nap during the day. Most days at day care she does not nap, but she naps every day she is at home. She fiiiiiights it, but really needs it, and if she falls asleep (after much protesting/crying/screaming), she will sleep for 2 or more hours, and it does not affect her nighttime sleep at all.

Like PP, she was not a good sleeper until she was nearly a year old, so she is making up for lost time. I never thought it was possible for an infant to sleep so little. And she is really hard to put down, she cries/screams a little almost every night, and some nights she cries/screams a LOT. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, forget about it, she's up for an hour, or up for the day if it's after 4:30am.

When DS was this age, he slept a ton. He kept his morning nap until he was almost 2. After he dropped it, he would still sleep 11-12 hours at night, plus a 3-4 hour nap during the day. More during growth spurts. He always needed a LOT of sleep. So do I, for that matter, so I think it just runs in the family.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS sleeps 10 hours at night, and takes a 2-2.5 hour nap. Well that was when he was newly 2. Now he's trying to give up his nap and sleeps almost 11 hours at night, sometimes 12 if he didn't get to nap at all.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS is almost 2.5. He's nearly done with napping. He sleeps about 11-12 hours at night. About twice a week, he'll add a 1 hour nap.
    Kris

DS sleeps 11-12 hours at night, and takes a 2hr nap every day. On the rare occasion that he misses his nap, his nighttime sleep remains the same. He has always needed some extra sleep though - he was taking 3 naps/day right up til his first birthday.

I am fairly sure that DD slept less at the same age though, she was right around 12 hours/24hr period.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 2.5 year old sleeps no more than 10 hours at night. Her naps vary from zero to 2 hours, with an increasing number of no nap days.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

My 2yr old twins sleep 11-12 hours at night and nap for 2-4 hrs everyday

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by scriptkitten View Post
    My 2yr old twins sleep 11-12 hours at night and nap for 2-4 hrs everyday
    All you people with long sleepers...makes me so envious

Ours sleep 9-9.5 hrs at night and nap 2 hours for a total of 11-11.5 hours. I'm almost looking forward to them dropping the nap so that they'll sleep longer at night! We can't even get a movie in after they go to bed without sacrificing on our own much-needed sleep!

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My little guy sleeps 10.5-11 at night and 1.5-2hr ( 2hr only if he had a bad night that night though) nap during the day.

I have read every sleep book out there, and I've found the Ferber does have by far the lowest sleep range. From what I've read, most books recommend 12-14 hours. Having said that, someone has to be on the low end of the range,it's just hard on the mamma!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast