Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Help me choose a Sling

We still have the BBjorn we bought for DD1 and DD2 is due end of March. DD1 was not in a carrier for long periods but I'm hoping to be out and about more and wants DD2 to get used to being carried.

We have a possible Disney trip coming up mid July so DD2 will be about 3 months. And more travelling towards the end of the year. But mostly keeping the Disney trip in mind, what type of a sling would you recommend? I don't want to buy another structured carrier as we have the BB. But a sling might be a good idea.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have an Ellaroo lightly padded ring sling. It was great for carrying my DD at that age. Depends on the size of your baby of course, but if you're alternating between that an a stroller, it's a great option.

http://www.amazon.com/Ellaroo-Lightl.../dp/B0038512N8

You said sling, but did you just mean a baby carrier of some kind. There's also the Ergo. I've used it for two kids now, and I LOVE it.

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

I loved my pikkolo (which is a carrier much like an ergo) and still use my Freehand mei tai all the time. You might also consider the new Becco Gemini. You might try the babywearer forums or the carrier forum here for more information.

Catherine

I'm thinking of not buying another carrier like the BB, Pikkolo, Ergo and Beco Gemini they're all similar to BBjorn, I understand that others are more confortable than the BB but we're not planning on having more kids so $$ on another carrier just like the BBjorn would be hard to justify.

Another thing I wanted to ask was, our possible Disney trip would be in July, which is going to be very hot. Would a baby be too hot in a sling?
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I'm thinking of not buying another carrier like the BB, Pikkolo, Ergo and Beco Gemini they're all similar to BBjorn, I understand that others are more confortable than the BB but we're not planning on having more kids so $$ on another carrier just like the BBjorn would be hard to justify.

Another thing I wanted to ask was, our possible Disney trip would be in July, which is going to be very hot. Would a baby be too hot in a sling?
    My sling was made of cotton, and it wasn't too bad. Course, any time you're wearing/carrying a baby front-to-front it will feel hotter. But with the sling you can carry DS a little off to the side, so he's almost to your hip; that will make for more air flow.

Are you wanting the sling only for this trip? Or for long term with your DS? Because if the latter I encourage you to give the other carriers another thought. They are NOT like the BB in that you can also wear the baby on your back as he gets older and heavier, which can make life easier. Can't do that with a BB. I started wearing my DD on my back with my Ergo starting around 4 mo.

If it's only for the trip, you might want to check out the FSOT board at thebabywear.com forums. You can find something secondhand.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

I had a couple of pouch slings but I could not wear dd on just one shoulder past about 1 month. She's a big baby and it was too much weight on just one side. So I would not have found a sling at all useful for a Disney trip with a three month old. YMMV.

Catherine

Thanks. I was actually mainly focusing on the Disney trip, to make it a success and we have another couple of trips coming up towards the end of the year. After that things will be quite I think. So probably main use will be this year. I thought about the pouch too, like a New Native but figured it'll be way too hot.

I will talk to DH about other carriers and see what his opinion is.

Do you think a 3 month old would be happier and comfortable in a stroller or a sling/carrier?
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

I think a combination of stroller and carrier is good for Disney. We did a Disney World trip with our then 8 month old in November 2010. She likes the stroller and the carrier. We used the stroller when possible and the carrier for standing in lines and during rides/shows where strollers are not allowed. I used our Ergo, which I love, but I couldn't use it with dd until she was about 6 months old. If we had gone when she was three months old, I would have used our pikkolo and/or mei tai. The mei tai is a bit more of a production to get on as it ties instead of buckling, but is very, very comfortable for me and would be cooler than the pikkolo.

Catherine