Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    I hope nobody minds if I ask a quick ?. It seems like the pics of all the ladies nursing in a carrier are much more exposed than I thought they'd be, is that always the case? I know that you can take the tail of a ring sling and put it over your shoulder, but if you choose not to are you as exposed as most of the women on the link. ( I hope nobody takes that ? the wrong way, I am pretty self conscious, so prefer to stay pretty covered, but fully support and cheer on those that choose to nurse less covered up!).
    So... those are all "celebrate breastfeeding" pictures. I feel like there's a cult of women who like to put up very in your face pictures of breastfeeding, and then complain that others find breastfeeding offensive. Breastfeeding does not HAVE to be in your face. A lot of those women are seriously endowed (says this B cupper) and are nursing out the TOP of whatever they are wearing so of course you're going to see some boob.

If you wear a button down shirt or a nursing top or a nursing tank under a normal shirt, so you can pull up one layer and still have your fleshy underbelly covered, there is no reason you can't nurse discreetly in a carrier. (Or out of a carrier, for that matter... I really mostly only ever wore normal shirts, no nursing tank, just sat and relied on the baby to hide my side/stomach, which doesn't work so well when they are super tiny, but does when they are older... in a carrier I felt like it was harder to keep my sides covered... and I'm not so much a prude or anything but no one needs to see my sides LOL)

Weather or not it is comfortable for you, or it works, is another matter - I was never physically comfortable with it, it just seemed easier for me to sit and do it without a carrier. But there's no need to let it all hang out like that in order to nurse in a carrier, unless you really want to, and want to take pictures of it.

(I've nursed 3 kids in public and never covered up beyond just what my clothes covered - I'm not offended by breastfeeding - but some women will take pictures and show way more than they need to and then act offended when others take offense. Middle ground, please! I think part of it has become a sport of poking facebook... FB tends to yank BF pics... so women post the most out there ones they have and then complain about FB yanking them...)
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 01-08-2011 at 01:16 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    I hope nobody minds if I ask a quick ?. It seems like the pics of all the ladies nursing in a carrier are much more exposed than I thought they'd be, is that always the case? I know that you can take the tail of a ring sling and put it over your shoulder, but if you choose not to are you as exposed as most of the women on the link. ( I hope nobody takes that ? the wrong way, I am pretty self conscious, so prefer to stay pretty covered, but fully support and cheer on those that choose to nurse less covered up!).
    You can always use a cover to help with modesty concerns ... or practice until you find a way to BF discreetly while using your carrier ... or whatever you find will work for you & your baby.

FWIW, I'm currently a D+ cup and still managed not to inadvertently flash the men behind me while nursing during rehearsal, so it's certainly possible to be a bit more modest than shown in the photos!!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2