Default Ibuprofen or Motrin allergy?

Anyone have a toddler who is allergic to ibuprofen or motrin? If so, how long after giving the medicine did you see hives? I gave my son generic motrin last night around 7 pm, and today I noticed hives at 5 pm. He was at preschool all day, but I think the teacher would have noticed. So far the hives are only on one leg and on both arms. He had not had any of that medicine in months. Thanks!

My DN is allergic to it, however, I would think the hives would show up faster than almost 24 hours later. Maybe he just got a contact allergy or something.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That's almost 24hrs after the dose -- IME, that is waaaay too late for a drug reaction. I would probably not give it again until you spoke with a dr, but from my experience with food allergies (which granted are different than drug allergies), 24hrs later is to late to be scientifically linked.

JMHO
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree that they may not be connected. Where you giving the med for a fever/illness? Hives are very common reaction to a virus so if your LO is sick it is possible that the hives are related to the illness and not the med.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

My husband is allergic - he will react quite quickly if he takes it. I have never had a problem giving it to my kids - generally I give tylenol just in case - but if I do use motrin I watch them closely - have not had a problem. ~22 hours later, I would not blame the motrin.