Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I am addicted to Brussels Sprouts...and you can be, too!

I can't stop making these (and now am making variations, too!) I know there are some really popular, similar recipes that use parmasean cheese, too (but we are dairy-free).

Take clean and trimmed sprouts and cut in half.
    Heat about a TBS olive oil or other fave oil in pan on medium-high.
    Toss cut sprouts in additional oil just to lightly coat.
    Place sprouts cut side down in pan & immediately, generously, liberally sprinkle medium or coarse grain gourmet salt over sprouts (I prefer pink himilayan. Kosher worked ok. Celtic gray was too strong).
    Sear cut side (1-2 minutes).
    Lower heat to medium and cover for 5 minutes.
    Remove lid, raise heat to medium-high and stir, toss and move sprouts for 1-2 minutes.
    Drizzle a well aged balsamic over sprouts and toss thoroughly.
    ENJOY.

I have also added minced garlic, chopped green onion. etc with success. White balsamic does not work well. Too bright and acidic with not enough time to cook off.

DD is willing to nibble on these. When I perfect the toddler friendly version, I will let you know!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Me, too!!! ME TOO!!!

I do this a bit differently, but yours sound so good, too. I place the sprouts in a pan of olive oil, roll 'em aroudn so that they get coated, and then liberal liberal amounts of kosher salt. I do, however, use sea fresh ground sea salt cuz I don't have kosher, but kosher is better. Then bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Turn 'em over, do another 15 or 20, take 'em out and eat. Don't get rid of the little leaves that get all brown and crispy, they're really good.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sounds great, I should make them like this. I like them steamed and tossed with warm bacon crumbles and a bit of bacon fat.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Me too! We love the Mark Bittman recipe for roasted brussels sprouts - the roasting really sends them over the top. Olive oil, salt and lots of heat - YUM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ina Garten's recipe is super-simple. Just toss w/olive oil and sea salt, then roast them whole for 40ish min. We actually put them in the Advantium oven and they go from fridge to table in under 20 min (speedcook 18m).

DD love, love, loves them. She thinks they're cute, like baby corn. Maybe she thinks they are little lettuces.

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Ina Garten's recipe is super-simple. Just toss w/olive oil and sea salt, then roast them whole for 40ish min. We actually put them in the Advantium oven and they go from fridge to table in under 20 min (speedcook 18m).

DD love, love, loves them. She thinks they're cute, like baby corn. Maybe she thinks they are little lettuces.
    We do the same roasting recipe and they are amazing! I can eat all of them in one sitting!
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alirebco View Post
    We do the same roasting recipe and they are amazing! I can eat all of them in one sitting!
    Yah... I gave DD the leftover 2 tiny ones at lunch today, and after eating everything else, she asked for more. When I told her we were completely out of them, you could have heard her yell a million miles away. I gave her some lasagne and she screamed, "I did not ask for lasagne. I.need.more.brussels.sprouts!" It just sounds so funny to be coming out of kid's mouth.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Trying the Ina Garten recipe tonight!
    DD
    DS

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think i burned mine last night. not sure what I did wrong. Maybe they were too small and needed less time in the oven? They were still good after peeling a few layers off at least.
    DD
    DS

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think we in this thread should recognize ourselves as the charter members of the I Love Brussels Sprouts Society. Should we have badges?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast