Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Fresh vs Trimmed vs Bagged...

So, I have consistently used the bagged, already prepped Brussels Sprouts from Costco and in pan searing, the have been successful,

Bought some already trimmed but loose from the grocery the other day and they seemed to have more liquid in them. The sautee pan was a little watery.

Anyone else notice a difference?
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

roasting some for the first time as we type...i'll let you know!
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

I love this recipe with bacon and cheese but I like it without the baking at the end: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

I'm thinking of trying this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

well, y'all, they were good! we'd do them again. thanks for the idea!
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

Default Roasting vs "The Pan"

Ok, ok, ok. I did it. I roasted some. And, yeah. I will admit. They are good. But they are soooooooooooooo different from pan frying/sauteeing them!

I will def. roast again, but I highly encourage you all to try "The Pan". They just don't even compare to one another!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

I am terribly afraid of trying new veggies. (bad kid experiences) and obly as an adult have tried adding more veggies to my diet. Can someone tell me what they taste similar to? Before I try them myself?

Quote Originally Posted by mezzona View Post
    I am terribly afraid of trying new veggies. (bad kid experiences) and obly as an adult have tried adding more veggies to my diet. Can someone tell me what they taste similar to? Before I try them myself?

Sort of like a three way cross of cabbage, potato and broccoli.

DO NOT try steaming or boiling for your first time! Go with one of the recipes linked above in previous posts!

http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...lssprouts.html
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    Sort of like a three way cross of cabbage, potato and broccoli.

DO NOT try steaming or boiling for your first time! Go with one of the recipes linked above in previous posts!

http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...lssprouts.html
    Awesome. Those 3 are already in my regular diet. I'll try Brussels sprouts next. I'm very curious!

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can't believe we have four pages on brussels sprouts. Seriously! Awesome.

The problem with pan frying or any of these other recipes that involve, say, bacon (yummy as they truly sound) is the amount of calories. A brussels sprout is like 8 calories a piece. You can have 20 of them for less than 200 calories. I do not count olive oil calories becuase it's an essential oil, and unless you're practically deep frying, the health benefits sort of cancel out the calories. In my own mind. Now, the sodium level is huge, so you're gonna retain that water for quite some time. Can't have it all. But calories? You can't beat that roasting recipe. I can't do the pan fried with all those other delicious ingredients or it'll defeat my purpose.

Now, if you're going to try these for the first time Mezzona, then the advice not to steam them is excellent. Taht's an acquired taste. I definitely advise oneo f the pan fried recipes or the roasting with lots and lots of kosher sald (or sea salt if you must) as a runner up. Go for it! The worst thing that could happen is that you'll hate them. But ... maybe your family will like them? Good luck! So glad you've been inspired!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree with PPs that if you're going to try them, try one of the methods that caramelizes the sugars in the sprouts first (pan-sear or roast).

I made roasted sprouts for Christmas (everyone would just say "oh" when I told them what I was making LOL). But by the end of dinner - the entire large bowl was GONE.

Toss halved sprouts in EVOO and sea salt, roast at 400 for 20-30 min (I get them at Costco in the cold room).

While they roast, heat some EVOO or butter (depending on how healthy you want this to be) in a frying pan and add mushrooms (I like a mix of baby bellas and wild shrooms). Cook until shrooms are golden brown and caramelized on the edges. Set aside in a large bowl. In the same pan, heat a bit more EVOO or butter, add one large thinly sliced shallot and cook until golden brown. Add a quarter cup or so of white wine and cook, scraping up browned bits, until reduced by about half. Add back in the shrooms and sprouts. Drizzle in some cream (again, use as much as you want!) and toss over low heat until the sauce thickens a bit and everything warms through. Transfer back into the same large bowl. YUM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast