Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default how long did it take...

to get your first period after giving birth to your child(ren)?

w/ my first, my cycles were regular after a month or two postpartum even though I was nursing often w/ just one bottle at night. I used my medela PIS to make sure I was making enough breastmilk to compensate for the bottle (of either formula or breastmilk).

w/ my ~2 month old DD, I don't think I've had my first period yet. I had light postpartum bleeding for the first couple of weeks. I'm not on any birth control - I haven't been on the pill before. my DH and I just use condoms, and I'll be the first to admit that we kind of slacked off once. I've been nursing periodically during the day, but mostly bottlefeeding (w/ formula) and I haven't been pumping (as much as I did for my DS). So I was expecting my period sooner this time around, since I'm not exclusively nursing.

Just curious how your experiences were related to when your cycles became regular again and whether they were affected by your choices in nursing and/or supplementing. Thank you.

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Didn't get one till 14 months with DD, and nothing yet with 9 mo old DS either. I think the night nursing keeps Aunt Flo away for me. They were both EBF with a combo of nursing and pumped milk.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

6 months with DD1
    DD2 is now exactly 8 months and nothing yet - but I don't want to jinx myself!

Both are EBFed, but with DD1, I went back to work at around 5 months out of the home, and I think the combination of pumping at work plus introduction of solid foods at 6 months must have dipped my supply. With DD2, she is pretty much getting 99.9% of her food from breastmilk so far (tiny tastes of veggies and fruits don't seem to be adding up to much). Stay away, AF!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

6 WEEKS postpartum with DS1

5 WEEKS postpartum with DS2

Both were EBF, but I with DS1 I went back to nursing school full time at 3 weeks postpartum so I was pumping (and probably not as often as he would have been nursing) and figured that was why it came back so early.

But with DS2 it came back even earlier and I was a full time SAHM and nursing exclusively around the clock! I was really bummed the second time around!!!!!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

11.5months and counting right now. Still BFing but only twice a day, I am thinking any day now but I keep having scary pregnancy thoughts enter my brain.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS1--14mths
    DS2--12 mths
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I did the same as you described with your second DD and mine came around 10-12 weeks. I had a lot of PP bleeding though and BF for the first 6 weeks. Get some good birth control and USE it you ovulate before your first period so you could very well be fertile now!!!!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

4 weeks after I weaned DD#1 at 12m
    4 weeks after I weaned DD#2 at 17m
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

about two months PP. I exclusively BF (no pumping).

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

8 weeks with both boys -- period the exact day I went back to work.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast