Default Shorter Cervix? (long, but I'm scared)

At u/s today, found out we are having a girl and she appears healthy. But my cervix is 2.72 instead of 3. And, instead of being a perfect hourglass shape, in the middle, up against the baby's head, is a cut-out triangular open shape pointing inward. Does this mean my cervix is trying to open or efface or something else not good? I'm only 19.5 weeks.

The perinatologist said no bedrest yet (will re-evaluate in 10 days at another u/s, maybe this is 'normal' for me) but instead to "lounge", whatever that means. Um, yeah. I have a 20 mo DS and DH is leaving on an extended business trip-measured in weeks-next week he cannot get out of, family is 3 time zones away, and all my friends have babies and lives. So now I'm afraid to do anything, but hoping this means nothing. Being pregnant, I haven't exactly pushed myself physically anyway. (Maybe this is an excuse to get a housecleaner and try out grocery delivery service?) Had none of this with DS. I see my ob/gyn in two days.

Anyone had anything similar?

lovebebes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

my cervix was very short in one of my pregnancies, shorter than yours. it was found to be funneling at my 20 week u/s appoitment...my doctor did put me on bedrest and we monitored it closely. i was not super strict about keeping my bedrest at 100%, i had a feeling my funneling had to do with the fact that i had two pregnancies almost back to back (see my sig).

with my subsequent pregnancy my cervix was completely "normal".

i think this is one of those "wait and see" situations. but definitely a great idea for your doctor to keep an eye on it, and for you to maybe take it a bit easier than usual, just until you figure out how this cervix of yours is going to behave-this would be my advice.

hugs-hope your pregnancy is uneventful
    DD S 2002
    DD L born sleeping 04.2006
    DD L 2007
    Finally our littlest rainbow is here!
    DD C 2010

At 23 weeks my cervix was 2.1cm and I had 2cms of funneling. The following week I was 1cm dilated and ended up on strict bed rest with a terbutaline pump (to stop contractions) until 36 weeks. At the time, I had a 5 year old and a terminally ill 3 year old. Being on bed rest was NOT in the plans! But, it all worked out and Hope was born full term.

Hopefully your cervix will settle down and you will just need to take it easy. I will say that once I was on strict bed rest everyone else took my "need to take it easy" status much more seriously. Meaning, it was hard to get help until it was absolutely necessary.