Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenn850 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Kindle Holdouts?

I am thinking it is time to give up hope and buy the kindle gift I need full price... anyone else miss the sale and still holding out?

Carrots is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought one last week for DH. I didn't want to wait and got it for 139, the retail price.
    Kristen
    Mom to:
    DD, A 5 years
    DD, K 3 years

and my three born sleeping

I saw one on a deal of the day for $129, so $10 off. I want a reader that will do library books so I can't use it, hopefully you can!

http://www.sobongo.com/daily-deal?ut...content=logoad

ETA: Nevermind, it's out of stock already. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
    I saw one on a deal of the day for $129, so $10 off. I want a reader that will do library books so I can't use it, hopefully you can!

http://www.sobongo.com/daily-deal?ut...content=logoad

ETA: Nevermind, it's out of stock already. Sorry about that.
    Which reader will do library books? Is there a place I can go for a comparison of the features of these things? I'm thinking of getting one for DH.
    Mom to DS1 (3/06) and DS2 (9/08)

I got a Nook Color and LOVE it!
    It allows me to read library books, so it works great!

Anyone know of any good websites to get ebooks other than bn.com?

I've found that mobileread.com is a great resource, especially the forums there.

Pretty much all of the major ones other than the Kindle can do library books. The Kindle is locked into Amazon's format which is based on .mobi so you need to buy from them. You can also load .mobi files that don't have DRM, so you can get a few books from independant websites but it's not as common. The other major readers, nook, nook Color, and the Sony Readers all use ePub. They can read the Adobe ePub and the Adobe PDF files of the Overdrive books used by libraries. I don't know about the other lesser known brands out there, but I am pretty sure all of them read ePub as well. The Philadelpha Free Library has an extensive digital collection and gives library cards anywhere in the country for $15. I have not signed up yet but will once I go through my own library's collection.

The nook is tied to the Barnes and Noble store if you buy with wireless on the ereader but you can get files from numerous sites. The Sony is tied to the Reader store in the same way but again, you can get files from a lot of places. The Sonys are touch screen and have a reputation for being a little more sturdy, but they are more expensive and the smaller models don't have wireless. The Daily Reader does. These all use eInk (which looks like the pages of a book). The nook has the touch screen strip at the bottom and an eInk screen. The nook Color is really a smaller iPad that runs on Android and is slightly hobbled but a lot cheaper. It has an LCD and a shorter battery life (hours instead of days).

I, myself, have been going back and forth between the nook and the Sony readers for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
    I've found that mobileread.com is a great resource, especially the forums there.

Pretty much all of the major ones other than the Kindle can do library books. The Kindle is locked into Amazon's format which is based on .mobi so you need to buy from them. You can also load .mobi files that don't have DRM, so you can get a few books from independant websites but it's not as common. The other major readers, nook, nook Color, and the Sony Readers all use ePub. They can read the Adobe ePub and the Adobe PDF files of the Overdrive books used by libraries. I don't know about the other lesser known brands out there, but I am pretty sure all of them read ePub as well. The Philadelpha Free Library has an extensive digital collection and gives library cards anywhere in the country for $15. I have not signed up yet but will once I go through my own library's collection.

The nook is tied to the Barnes and Noble store if you buy with wireless on the ereader but you can get files from numerous sites. The Sony is tied to the Reader store in the same way but again, you can get files from a lot of places. The Sonys are touch screen and have a reputation for being a little more sturdy, but they are more expensive and the smaller models don't have wireless. The Daily Reader does. These all use eInk (which looks like the pages of a book). The nook has the touch screen strip at the bottom and an eInk screen. The nook Color is really a smaller iPad that runs on Android and is slightly hobbled but a lot cheaper. It has an LCD and a shorter battery life (hours instead of days).

I, myself, have been going back and forth between the nook and the Sony readers for a while now.
    Thank you so much for this great info!
    Mom to DS1 (3/06) and DS2 (9/08)

I just wanted to add that if PURCHASING books is important to you, vs. open format and being able to shop around and use the library, then Amazon/Kindle definitely have the largest selection of ebooks.

Good luck in your decision! (Borders is having a $10 off sale right now, and that includes the Sony eReaders.)

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

FWIW, I just purchased the $139 Graphite Kindle for my mom for Xmas... and it's estimated delivery is Dec 22-24 --- so if you're holding out, you may want to go ahead and get it if you want it under the tree. And yes, this is even with being a prime member. Looks like everyone wants a Kindle!

Target and Best Buy also sell Kindles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast