Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Best disposable for blowouts (aka up-the-back), not Pampers?

TMI: 6 month old DS has a problem with blowouts: poop all the way up the back of his shirt. I don't know what diaper to try next. With DD I'd use Pampers Swaddlers, but he does not react well to Dry Max. Any other diapers with that kind of higher-back coverage?

He is just starting to sit up, not mobile yet.

About CD.... I know a lot of people turn to cloth to deal with this issue, but I've been down that road 4 times now & I could never get it to work. Tried AIOs, prefolds, pockets, different brands - too many laundry issues plus recurrent bacterial rash for DD made me decide it's not the solution for us.

Thanks for any tips!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

My son was a horrible blower outer and I hate to say but he pretty consistantly blew out in disposables. Cloth really was best for us from a blow out standpoint. That said a diaper that is too small will cause more blow outs. Move up a size and see what happens - even if you think by weight or looks the diapers fit, moving up a size can help. I think I have heard of some people folding the back edge down so there is sort of a pocket to catch the poop - I never tried this, I can't say how well it works.

And of course dress him knowing he is prone to blow outs. Sleepers that snap down the front, rather then shirts or onesies that will go over his head... I always hated removing a pooping item over the head...

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Whenever those blowouts happened, I went up a size.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Yes, I went up a size as well and it solved the problem.

Catherine

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would suggest Huggies for this. Going up a size I don't know, most 6 mo olds are in size three I would think and there is a huge difference in Huggies 3 and 4.
    DS 6/09

Quote Originally Posted by catsnkid View Post
    I would suggest Huggies for this. Going up a size I don't know, most 6 mo olds are in size three I would think and there is a huge difference in Huggies 3 and 4.
    I agree with the Huggies rec. DS2 had a huge problem with the up-the-back poops. Switching to Huggies helped. I think we used the Little Movers line. They have this little bit of elastic at the top that seems to keep the poop better contained. Good luck!
    Mom to DS1 (3/06) and DS2 (9/08)

We had great luck with Earth's Best when our Pampers stopped holding in blow-outs.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Huggies Supreme (red packaging) has a poop pocket in the back that worked for us.
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    TMI: 6 month old DS has a problem with blowouts: poop all the way up the back of his shirt. I don't know what diaper to try next. With DD I'd use Pampers Swaddlers, but he does not react well to Dry Max. Any other diapers with that kind of higher-back coverage?

He is just starting to sit up, not mobile yet.

About CD.... I know a lot of people turn to cloth to deal with this issue, but I've been down that road 4 times now & I could never get it to work. Tried AIOs, prefolds, pockets, different brands - too many laundry issues plus recurrent bacterial rash for DD made me decide it's not the solution for us.

Thanks for any tips!
    We switched to Huggies Little Movers at that point. The back is kind of C shaped, so it cups over the butt and limits the blow outs. I think we have only had one in the 3 months since we switched. Also, are you sure you are using the right size? Something I have found is taht if you have a tall kiddo (which I do), the weight ranges on the diapers is useless. We usually grow out of the diapers when DD is still well within the weight range.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Huggies little movers! Love the poop pocket. Have saved many an outfit from blowouts! Try size 3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast