Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Question Favorite hand lotion/cream

I had a hand made (no pun intended) lotion, but the woman no longer makes lotions. I'm slightly allergic to shea butter and while shea is great at getting rid of the cracks, a light red rash is my reaction. I like aloe lotions, but most of the ones I've tried are too greasy or just simply aren't strong enough.

My hands are awful much of the year, winter dryness & cracked skin, spring/summer gardening & boating, and it doesn't help to add on to the regular 'in the water for dishes/cleaning' that I'm an artist and most of the time working with water soluble paints and materials that yet again add cracking to my hands.

Do you have a favorite hand lotion/cream? I honestly don't care about $ as I'd like some relief... sorry so long, TIA for any suggestions.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Avon moisture therapy intensive hand cream. We've tried the expensive stuff and keep on coming back to this one. DH is a paramedic and comes home with such dry, rough hands and this stuff works for him.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    Avon moisture therapy intensive hand cream. We've tried the expensive stuff and keep on coming back to this one. DH is a paramedic and comes home with such dry, rough hands and this stuff works for him.
    I was going to post the same thing. I am an RN and it basically ruined my hands. The avon moisture therapy intensive (make sure you get the correct one, they have some other kinds in the same series, that aren't the same) is the BEST one. I use it all yr long. This is the 2nd yr using it and the only yrs I haven't ended up with eczema and bleeding knuckles, which I did when using other lotions. Plus, it's super affordable, which is great.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I work in the hospital and have to wash my hands very frequently as well as wear latex and non-latex gloves. I've dealt with dry, cracked, and rash covered hands for years. I've tried everything. The only cream that helps me is Kiehl's ultimate strength hand salve for severely dry hands. Skin protectant,such as aquaphor or vaseline, help when I am wearing gloves.

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My hands were bleeding and bleeding. It hurt to type at work. I couldn't do dishes. Kiehls intensive helped but not enough. I also tried cocoa butter, straight vitamin e oil, shea butter, straight essential oils. Nothing helped enough.

The solution is a product called "Gloves in a Bottle" available at drugstore.com. It is a miracle product. It is not all-natural (in fact I have wonder what the heck must be in it!) however in my case I felt like it was worse for my health/appearance to be bleeding all over the place. Gloves in a bottle will heal the cuts and cracks so that all the other hand creams can do their job.

ETA: gloves in a bottle is both a "shielding" and moisturizing lotion. Aquaphor will shield but its kind of sticky, gooey - - gloves in a bottle absorbs in and creates a micro-thin, dry layer if that makes any sense. Really, I should go work for the GIAB people I am enamored of this product . . .
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Aveda Hand Relief with Aquaphor on top.

viba424 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Kiehls hand salve is thick but not greasy. Good stuff. DH loves his Vanicream. Both of those are very basic and effective.

Crabtree and Evelyn Hand Therapy is good too, if you want something with a little scent.
    Last edited by viba424; 01-16-2011 at 03:05 PM.

SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'll try the Avon one first, a cousin sells Avon so I'll be able to help her & see if it helps my hands. I may get the Kiehls & Gloves in the Bottle to keep in the studio when I'm working - they sound like great products.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

I use a cream called Udderly Smooth or something like that. Only $1

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I also suffer from extremely dry hands in the winter and was following this thread. Based on PPs recommendations I went to the Avon site to order the lotion. Just wanted to let you know that they are having a special and you can get 3 tubes of the hand lotion for $5 dollars. I also ordered the Moisture Therapy Intensive Lotion which is on sale for $2.99 and gets great reviews. If you order $10 or more and use the code JUST4YOU you get free shipping. If you have an Avon rep you can enter their phone number and give them credit for your order.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast