Default Is it safe to color my hair while pregnant?

I'm 23 weeks pregnant with twins and want to know if it's safe to highlight and color my hair while pregnant? Has anyone colored their hair while pregnant and had healthy kids?

Thanks for your advise!

I would say I touched up my hair or did highlights when I was pregnant with all of my children. I went nearly 9 months with my first w/out anything and looked awful. It had to be done and was a few days before he was born. Since knowing people who did their hair while pregnant every 6 weeks I didn't think touch ups maybe 2-3 times in the 9 months was that bad. I def did the lesser of the coloring in that I did quick 10 minute colorings or root touch ups and never left it on more than 8 minutes. I also did not let hardly any of it touch anything but my scalp and I kept the area well ventilated. Even going to far as to have a fan and window open in the dead of winter. Not even my husband knew and he can usually tell. I asked my doc about this and got the common answer that yes there is nothing definitively that shows it is harmful but just be smart about it. IT is one of things I always felt kind of questionable too but then I look out and see people drinking and smoking and doing worse and know that I am a healthy person and don't do those things ever so a touch up every now and then I think is fine. I felt so good the last time I touched my hair up that my whole attitude changed and that has to be positive for the baby. Plus once I got the touch up done I spent more time outdoors and the sunlight helped maintain it I swear longer and I did not worry about so much after that.

Just my two cents!
    B

Ds 03, 06 and twins 09

Update:

I had a doctors appt yesterday and while sitting in the waiting room I read an article about coloring hair and thought about your original question. The article stated that since hair color sits on the skin on the head and is not deeply absorbed it is considered safe. The most harmful if anything the article said were the fumes. Ventilation is key.
    When I went into my OB/GYN office and saw him I asked him about this as well. He said it is considered safe as there were many things we do in our daily lives that put us more at risk with more potentially harmful things like : second/third hand smoking, frequent flying for work, the old thing of wearing heavy make-ups and nail polishes, working in an environment where there is constant chemical exposure: salons, factories, restaurants that allow smoking etc., even running along highways breathing in the toxic air was more harmful then coloring your hair. He asked me if I cleaned my bathroom. Of course was my response. He said you had a better chance of doing yourself harm by breathing in the fumes that put off by chemicals we use everyday to clean our homes than hair color.

I hope this helps someone who is on the fence. Go out, be well ventilated and go make yourself pretty.

B

DS 03, 06 and twins 09 and surprise in summer '11

Yes, it's safe IMO. Go get pretty, mama!

I remember looking at pictures of myself after I gave birth to my first child, and my hair looked terrible because I was so paranoid to get highlights.

With pregnancy #2 and #3 I had highlights put in. I felt so much better about myself even though I was huge and felt kinda blah most of my pregnancy.
    Last edited by artvandalay; 01-25-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Heck yeah I did! And my kid is very healthy. And cute!
    One of the OBs I saw in the practice (the one who saw me at my first appt at 8 weeks, who I like but is very conservative), told me it's best to wait until after 13 weeks to do any color, so I waited, but at 13 weeks, I was sitting in the salon