Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default DS told me he was sad!

We have working a lot on emotions with DS. He can name six emotions, and identify the corresponding facial expressions. We talk about what triggers each emotion and what we can do when we feel these things. We use this book: http://www.amazon.com/My-Book-Full-F...5640336&sr=1-1

DS understands all that, but in a rote sort of way. He has not been able to connect this information to his own internal state. So, he will always tell me that he is happy, no matter what evidence there is to the contrary. He can be sobbing hysterically and still insist that he feels happy.

Yesterday, DS had some poor behavior at school and came home with a bad report from his teacher. When we talked about it, he got very upset and cried for a long time. I was holding him and trying to calm him when all of a sudden DS said to me, "Mommy, I feel sad" and he sounded a little surprised. I was stunned.

We talked about how he was sad becuase of the choices he had made at school. And that this had made his teacher sad too. And that making better choices can make him happy. Then we talked about how everyone gets sad sometimes. We pulled out his book of feelings and talked about things that make us sad.

I feel disappointed that he made poor behavior choices at school, but WOW what a silver lining.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Never thought I'd use this smiley given the title of your post, but

That's great that he's getting in touch with his feelings more.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That sounds like such a break through. I bet you really had to hold back telling him you were happy because he was sad!
    DD
    DS

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That's wonderful that he was able to understand that! Hopefully that understanding will mean less sadness for him in the future.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Great work mama!!
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    That sounds like such a break through. I bet you really had to hold back telling him you were happy because he was sad!
    I did. I wanted to tell him that I was proud of him, but since we were talking about his poor choices that would have been too confusing for him.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That must feel kindof bittersweet -- happy to have made a breakthrough, but sad that he is sad. Hugs to you!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So happy for you!

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is huge! I hope you see him adding more emotions soon.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

That is wonderful! We are going to work on this with DS2. Right now when you ask if he is happy/sad he just repeats what you said. Best wishes on continued progress!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast