Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Did preschool help your child with a speech delay?

Trying to decide whether to put DS in preschool a couple of mornings a week next year. He receives speech therapy once a week through EI now, but he'll be aging out and we'll be moving to a new state during the summer, so don't know if he'll qualify for services anymore (seems unlikely, since he's improved quite a bit). We're in no rush to get him in school and due to his late birthday he misses the cut off for most of the three's programs, so if we were not considering speech development we'd probably just wait another year. Especially since we'll be moving, so we can't visit the programs now to decide where we want him to be and I'm leary of choosing a place without seeing it. But, our speech therapist has mentioned that being in a group situation with other kids and not having us around to translate might encourage him to talk more. So, if your child had a speech delay, did you find that attending preschool helped them catch up in that area? Thanks!
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Moving to a large daycare (that runs like a preschool, they have a separate preschool onsite) helped DD#2 a LOT. We just started ST again last week (not due to delay, but working on certain sounds) and the SLP couldn't believe what a difference she saw.

ETA: another HUGE difference was that DD#2 was separated from DD#1 (who started school). DD#2 HAD to talk for herself, previously DD#1 had done all the talking for her.
    Last edited by bubbaray; 01-21-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Preschool was recommended for DD due to speech delay, and I was extremely hesitant to do it. But, we put her in3 mornings per week this year and she has really blossomed. I think the combo of ST and preschool has been wonderful for her. I'm really glad that we did it.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wish I knew. I had 2 kids in EI, and my second is now in the district preschool, continuing speech services. It has helped her in a lot of other ways, but for speech it's less clear.

My oldest has a late bday and also misses the cutoff date, so she's in her third year of preschool. I would also say going really helped her in many ways. Speech could be one of those things, but again it's really hard to say.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds2 needs speech therapy. It was obvious to all involved. his preschool teacher is anxiously waiting for the 1st visit so she can have some tips to work with to help him.

Peer social interaction hasn't really made a difference but he's a young three and usually plays along side rather than with still.

Beth

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our speech therapist encouraged it and we really think that it was a big help. DS was in a MDO program and I basically told them,"he can talk, make him use his words". Being with other kids and wanting to talk with them made him start to try and use his words more.

Yes it made a huge difference for DS.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think so. DS2 has an articulation delay and his preschool has a private speech therapist that works with the kids at school and comes into the classroom if needed. It's been an amazing difference. He was having some social confidence issues due to his speech and this has been a huge help.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

It helped so much. But he was in a setting where he received speech therapy at preschool, so I can't really separate out the preschool effect from the speech therapy effect for certain. He had been receiving speech therapy at home through EI though and we had not seen much improvement. So I would guess the preschool setting was a positive factor.

Catherine

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, all, for your perspectives. I know it's hard to separate out what really makes a difference, but it does sound like most people feel there was a positive effect.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast